Cisco Support Community
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements

Welcome to Cisco Support Community. We would love to have your feedback.

For an introduction to the new site, click here. If you'd prefer to explore, try our test area to get started. And see here for current known issues.

PRI and POTS

Hi

I wanted to know if someone can explain to me the diffenence between PRI and POTS lines,thanks in advance for the help and have a geat day

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Re: PRI and POTS

A PRI is a digital PSTN interface.  It has 23 B channels and 1 D channel.  In other words, every B channel can be used for inbound or outbound calls at any given time.  At the highest level, it's like having 23 phone lines.

A POTS line is a single, analog telephone line.  They can be configured differently based on your needs but at the highest level, it's a single telephone line.

Depending on the number of users that you have, having a PRI (or multiple) can be much more cost effective than trying to achieve the same level of PSTN connectivity with individual POTS lines.

Hailey

2 REPLIES

A PRI is a digital PSTN interface.  It has 23 B channels and 1 D channel.  In other words, every B channel can be used for inbound or outbound calls at any given time.  At the highest level, it's like having 23 phone lines.

A POTS line is a single, analog telephone line.  They can be configured differently based on your needs but at the highest level, it's a single telephone line.

Depending on the number of users that you have, having a PRI (or multiple) can be much more cost effective than trying to achieve the same level of PSTN connectivity with individual POTS lines.

Hailey

Thanks alot I really appreicate the help

Views
Helpful
Replies