cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Problem with IP Phone stuck with network configurations and its restricted!

eug-c
Level 1
Level 1

Hi,

I'm kinda stuck in a loop.

I have a phone which was originally registered to my CCM Cluster A and they configured the phone settings to be 'restricted'. (Using CCM4.2(3))

Now I brought this phone to my other office and needs to get it registered. However, I can't seem to clear the network config or change the TFTP as the network configuration is restricted. So i can't get it registered to remove that restriction. Loop!

I'm using a 7961 and have tried doing a factory reset. Can't do a erase config as it is disabled.

Any other things i can try?

:)

Thanks all,

Eugene

26 Replies 26

paolo bevilacqua
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Hi,

Try the *alternate* factory reset sequence as described at:

http://www.ciscotaccc.com/kaidara-advisor/voice/showcase?case=K43691258

Hope this helps, please rate post if it does!

Hi Paolo,

Thanks for replying.

I never know there is another method of factory reset. :O

I will try this out as soon as I get a power cube. Any reason why this method requires a power cube?

Thanks,

Eugene

I think, the power cube is needed only for the 7970 because the higher absorption and some interaction with the way it boots. I would try via PoE anyway and if doesn't work get the powercube later. The phones have a boot loader that (apparently) cannot be corrupted so there is no risk even when an upgrade is aborted, etc.

Hi,

I tried using a power cube and followed the same steps showed but I think my phone is corrupted.

When it boots up, only the first line's light flashes and the phone dies off as if there is no power. I tried with PoE and with the power cubes, all failed.

Think I probably have to RMA it.

Thanks for your help,

Eugene

Eugene,

check it out, you have to press the # key for some more than 10 secs, perhaps 20, before the leds lit again. Only then release it and enter the sequence.

let us know!

Hi,

I held the # key down for about 20+ seconds, and the line lights starts to flash amber, I then keyed in the sequence (tried both) and after that the phone went dead.

I tried for both PoE and using the power cube. Both failed.

Help! :)

Thanks Paolo for following up!

Ok, at this point you must verify the DHCP/TFTP thing.

If you have the slightest doubt that your production server is not giving these services correctly, do the TFTP32 free software method. It is really a little but invaluable piece of software needed to revive phones and more things. Remember you need to configure option 150 in it. Let us know if you have any problem in using it.

would you mind trying a sniffer (ethereal) on your PC connected to you Phone. Im just interested to know where exactly the Phone get stuck.

THX

No need for sniffer with TFTPD32 (note correct spelling now)! It has a log capabilities and will tell you all about the things the phone is doing (beside respondig).

Hi Paolo,

I doubt that the issue lies in the DHCP and TFTP as I have tried plugging in a new IP phone to the same port and it was able to boot up, no problems.

Looks like the phones can get corrupted after all.

Thanks for your help.

Hi Eugene,

I still have to see a corrupted and unrecoverable phone. Trust me, use TFTPD32 and go from there. If it doesn't work, I'll buy your phone "for spare parts" and you make the price :)

Hi Paolo,

I hope ur offer to buy my phone still stands! haha... kidding.

Okay, I setup a PC with TFTPD32 and connected the phone directly with a power cube.

My Server Interface is: 192.168.0.1

I configured the following:

IP pool starting with: 192.168.0.2

Size of pool: 10

Boot File: P00308000400

Mask: 255.255.255.0

Additional Option 150 : 192.168.0.1

And saved.

When the phone boots up, I see a msg in the log viewer:

Rcvd DHCP Rqst Msg for IP 0.0.0.0, Mac 00:19:E8:AB:CD:EF [05/07 19:58:21.203]

And the phone powers off. After a while it will prompt for the DHCP again and powers off.

Is my setting correct?

Thanks for ur help!

See, the phone is still alive, it just wants attention.

Please try replacing "option 150" with "option 66", same 192.168.0.1 address.

Remove bootfile that is not applicable. Is this a 7960 or 7961 ?

Does TFTPD32 reply to the request ?

Hi,

I left the bootfile blank and replaced to option 66.

The same message is appearing and the phone shows no power... hmm... weird eh...

This is a 7961. :)

Thanks paolo for following up!

:P

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: