Cisco Support Community
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Community Member

Problem with PoE for WS-X6438 - can't get power to 3rd party device

First, pardon me if I have posted this to the incorrect group. I'm not sure what would even be better.

We have a Cat 6500 with multiple WS-X6348 blades with the power daughter card. It is running 12.2(18)SXE1. However, we are not able to power up a 3rd party camera by Axis. I saw a hidden command (set port inlinepower mod/port discovery ieee) for a Cat 6500 running CatOS to get 3rd party phones working, but I can't find anything for IOS. Inline power is configured for auto for the port and enabled for the blade, but the camera never powers up. The maximum power for the camera is 3.6 watts.

Incidentally, we have a WS-X6148-GE-45AF module that works fine with the cameras, but we have too many cameras to fit on this module.

I'd appreciate any suggestions. Thank you.

====

Just a quick update. This switch has a Sup720 and has the latest firmware. I was told by another engineer that they had problems with a Aironet 350 AP, upgraded the firmware on their Sup2, got it to work, eventually upgraded the Sup2 to a Sup720, and then was NEVER able to get the AP up with PoE. I'm trying to find a Sup2 to see if we can temporarily get this up until we can upgrade the blades.

3 REPLIES
Bronze

Re: Problem with PoE for WS-X6438 - can't get power to 3rd party

Shot in the dark here, but what does the camera pull wattage wise? The WS-F6K-48-AF supports 15.4W on the 6148 whereas the WS-F6K-VPWR only supports 7W on the 6348.

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/products/hw/switches/ps708/prod_module_installation_guide09186a008014f2ff.html

-- -Mark Turpin
Community Member

Each camera pulls 3.6 watts. I've come to the conclusion that these daughter cards are the Cisco pre-standard version of PoE, as the module we have that is 802.3af compliant works with no problem.

Bronze

and you'd be right - http://www.cisco.com/univercd/cc/td/doc/product/lan/cat6000/cfgnotes/78_10826.htm

sorry i didn't catch that before!

-- -Mark Turpin
Views
Helpful
Replies
CreatePlease to create content