cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Problems while installing Callmanager 8 vmware image!

monasir
Level 1
Level 1

Hello Everybody,

I'm having this problem while installing CUCM8 in vmware workstation.

The whole installation went fine, but at the end its asking me ( is this server the first node in the cluster?)

If i choose yes, then i have to fill in a ntp server.

But i don't have any clue which ntp server i have to fill in??

Also i want to know whats the best way to configure the networkadapters in vmware workstation.

For nowe i have chosen for "Custom" vmnet8 )because if look in cmd prompt vmware have added to virtual network connections.

And i believe i have to choose a different host adress but i has to be in that subet.

I'm struggling a while nowe!

So maybe someone can help me out!!

11 Replies 11

Thomas Dominic
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Hi,

Does your PC have internet access, if you do, you can use any of the Public NTP servers.

go ahead and choose your NTP server from http://www.pool.ntp.org/en/

now as far as Virtual Network is concerned,

You can give it as          Bridged Networking

Host Only

NAT

Bridged N/Wing would mean that your Virtual Machine and the actual physical adapter have IP's in the same subnet, so this will give your Virtual Machine's Internet access. This is advisable only when you have control on the IP your physical adapter gets, i.e. this is a DHCP assigned that you can control - wirelss router provided ip etc, or is static.

This is important because you want to avoid ip conflicts.

Host Only

Here you are giving a seperate private N/W for your virtual devices. You will not have internet acces, and if you want you will have to use IP Cop, or configure a gateway using GNS

NAT

This is the one I use, here you have your own private network but there is a virtual adapter that NAT's the private ip into the subnet of the physical adapter, this way there can be internet connectivity without conflicts.

Using VMWare and GNS i was succesfully able to setup a complete Virtual voice lab - the DSP's of course,  post for any further queries.

this link should help you with virtual adapters - http://www.vmware.com/support/ws55/doc/ws_net.html

This was of great help to me to setup the lab - follow the instructions and video's - http://www.blindhog.net/how-to-build-a-voice-lab-with-gns3-and-vmware/

HTH

Regards

Thomas

P.S. Pleae rate helpfull posts

Hello Thomas,

First of all i would like to thank you for your great detailed information.

I tried it again, but i'm still struggling whit configuring the network part when installing Callmanager.

For example i choose bridged networking, which ip adress i have to use in so i can reach the GUI for callmanager.

I if look in cmd prompt i can see the following:

I have a wireless networkconnection:

ipadress4:192.168.50.100

gateway:192.168.50.1

There are also 2 vmware networkconnections:

VMnet1:192.168.80.1

VMnet8:192.168.220.1

btw i have internetaccess , everything works fine

Hi,

Seeing your config, the easiest thing for you i guess would be to give a bridged network (bridge it to the wireless adapter) and give cucm the ip 192.168.50.200 and so on, just confirm that the ip is not pingable from your PC.

If this IP is pingable give it one past 200 that is not pingable.

HTH

Regards

Thomas

P.S. please rate helpfull post

I already assigned cucm an ip adress  192.168.50.100 actually the same as my wireless adapter,is it possible to change it otherwise i have to reinstall callmanager again.

I tried it in cli mode whit ( set network ip eth0 addr ) but i didn't work.

This wasnt so smart what i did.

Do you have any suggestions?

p.s which gateway address do i have to use?

the same as my config (192.168.50.1)

on the CLI

set network ip eth0 192.168.50.100 255.255.255.0

and for the gateway yes the same as your adapter

set network gateway 192.168.50.1

then restart your call manager - show network eth0

regards

Thomas

P.S. make sure the IP u give isnt pingable

Hi Thomas,

I've did everthing you said but unfortanely it still doesn't work.

Changed the ip address into 192.168.50.200/255.255.255.0  GW:192.168.50.1

After that the VM went rebooting.

I've restarted the service whit ( utils service start Cisco Tomcat)

Then it says " Service manager is running/Cisco Tomcat [started]

But still i can't reach the GUI whit ip adress 192.168.50.200

I have a strong feeling that i've also have to make som changes in my windows machine in network connections.

Am i right?

I have chosen for a bridged scenario.

Do i also have to make a bridge?

okay, is the call manager IP pingable from ur windows CLI???

from the Call manager CLI is the windows machine pingable - utils network ping PC IP

regards

thomas

It is not pingable.

It says " Network is unreachable"

okay, gimme sometime, i'll go ahead and try a fresh install in mine and lets see how it goes

regards

Thomas Dominic

Hi There Thomas,

Finally it worked!

I was struggling for a while whit the networkadapters.

I made up an bridge in my networkconnections i have bridged it to my wireless just like you told me.

And i've assigned in the bridge ip adress 192.168.50.99 whit gateway 192.168.50.1

I've assigned my cucm an ip adress whit 192.168.50.100.

Nowe am i able to reach the GUI whit that ip adress.

What i didnt know is that i had to assign a different ip adress because i had some ipconflicts.

BTW i have 2 callmanager versions the one that worked for me was callmanager 7 but whit 8 i still have some problems.

Maybe i have to edit my VM because a couple of times when i was installing callmanager 8 it gave me some errors like hardware and thats sort of things.

I'm going to look ahead if i can find something new and then i will let you know.

But for nowe i have alot of practice to do in callmanager 7 adding phones things like basic stuff.

Thanks alot!

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: