Views
Helpful
Replies

Problems with music on hold and g.729 codec

juan.saez
Level 1
Level 1

Hello there,

I've got a callmanager 4.1 and a gateway 2811 with ISDN PRI E1 in Madrid and a gateway 2811 with ISDN PRI E1 in Valencia. Between Madrid and Valencia G.729 codec is used.

The problem is that the music on hold is no running in the devices located in Valencia. If I change the codec between Madrid and Valencia to G.711 the problem dissapear.

Are there any solutions using G.729 codec between locations?

Thank for your help.

See you.

3 Replies 3

gene
Level 1
Level 1

You have to go into service parameters and pick the music on hold server. There are some options in there to turn on music for 729. I don't remember exactly where but if you can't find it I will find it and post more exact directions later. Also be advised 729 does not work so good for music. It is made for voice.

Thanks a lot. It's working OK.

Chris Deren
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Under the IP Voice App Streaming service parameter there is a box where you can select the codecs to be used for MOH, by default only G.711 is selected.

Also, if you are using Unicast MOH you can use transcoder to transcode the MOH, if you are using Multicast MOH transcoders will not work.

Keep in mind that music with g729 codec sounds terrible, so be prepared for complains.

HTH,

Chris