cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

procedure to upgrade to cucm 9.1

ivan aguilar
Level 1
Level 1

Does anybody know the software "Enterprise License Manager", ??

it is used to make the upgrading procedure in cucm from 8.x to 9.x , i think is a software installed in a pc, and with the credentials of the cucm you can connect to cucm and make the upgrading procedure, is this ok??

thanks.                  

2 Accepted Solutions

Accepted Solutions

Ivan, Watch this webinar... This will definately clear all the doubts..

https://supportforums.cisco.com/docs/DOC-27237

Thanks..

View solution in original post

16 Replies 16

Karthik Sivaram
Level 4
Level 4

Read this :

https://supportforums.cisco.com/docs/DOC-34910

Hope this helps!

Regards,

Karthik Sivaram

thanks for the link, was very usefull.

I have a doubt about the doc, in the case i make an upgrade, how i connecto to ELM? is into the cucm in the licese section?? in the doc said:

Log into the ELM GUI by browsing to your CUCM or CUC IP address/hostname. so i into the cucm, isnt it?

thanks!

my other question is:

if we have a CUCM 6, 7 or 8 before doing the migration how many users will be in the new license 9?

Due to DLUs after migration are fewer number os licenses than users could be a problem.

thanks

Please find the answers below...

1)

ELM is supported on the same servers as CUCM, both physical and virtual in 9.0

and 9.1.

ELM services are very small, thus installed by default on all CUCMs and CUCs.

Or can be installed on separate server.

Yes use the cucm Ip address on the web browser to connect to ELM.

2)

One of the first things you need to consider before you upgrade is what to do with any spare licenses that remain for your Version 8.x installation. If you have Device License Units (DLUs) that have been purchased but have not been uploaded to the call manager and you want them to be considered during the migration process, upload them to CUCM 8.x now. You cannot upload them after the Version 9.0 upgrade.

Licensing for Version 9.x and Newer Versions :-

UCL: This is one of the two types of user licensing available to users. With each UCL, you get support for one physical device (the device type varies based on UCL license type), voice service, and video (only for Enhanced and Enhanced Plus).

UWL: This is the other type of user license available now. UWL is a per-user license for up to 10 physical devices.

UWL Standard comes with advanced call control features and allows for mobile/desktop clients.

UWL Professional comes with all Standard features plus professional collaboration workspace features.

Licensing doc for ver 9 :

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/prod/collateral/voicesw/ps6882/ps9156/product_solution_overview0900aecd806cc7a4.html

Hope this helps!

Regards,

Karthik Sivaram

Hi Ivan,

You can also refer the presentation on UC 9.x licensing and  migration update.

https://communities.cisco.com/docs/DOC-33631

regds,

aman

Hi!

Thanks a lot both for your quick answer, i have one more question, if customer has a cucm 8.x and want to upgrade to 9.1, and customer has a few spare licenses, if i make a upgrade i could use those licenses??

karthick said:"

One of the first things you need to consider before you upgrade is what to do with any spare licenses that remain for your Version 8.x installation. If you have Device License Units (DLUs) that have been purchased but have not been uploaded to the call manager and you want them to be considered during the migration process, upload them to CUCM 8.x now"

So in the case customer has already cucm 8.x these licenses remains in cucm 9.1??

When cucm be upgraded to version 9, need only go to CUCM administration web page > System > Licensing > ELM , is this correct?

Thanks!!

Hi Ivan,

You can see the licenses in ELM---Monitoring ----Dashboard and License Usage.In Dasboard , u can get Overview with Product Instances, License Usage , Alerts and Syncronisation Failures.

You can also see Chart View.

regds,

aman

Hi!

In the case the customer has a cucm 6, 7 or 8 and i want to know how many licenses i will need, the ELM can be installed in standalone in a Pc, connecting to the CUCM IP adrees and before doing anything such upgrade or fresh install i could know all about licenses, where can i find that ELM to be installed in my pc?

Thanks!!

Hi Ivan,

You can download User Count tool from Cisco site prior to migration of 9 wherein you can plan for unused DLUs.this tool would connect to CUCM publisher and provide the licnese usage report.

for ELM to work, u would require CUCM 9 in setup.

regds,

aman

Hi Amanso!

I have already download the License Count Utility from cisco:

On the Download Software page:

1. Select Products.
  2. In the next box, select Voice and Unified Communications.
  3. In the subsequent boxes that appear, select the following items in the given order: IP Telephony > Unified Communications Platform > Cisco Unified Communications Manager (Call Manager) > Cisco Unified Communications Manager Version 8.6
  4. Select Unified Communications Manager / CallManager / Cisco Unity Connection Utilities.
  5. Click the Download button next to the LCU Zip File to launch a window with detailed information about the selected release and to add it to the Download Cart.

After download the software, said that:

"After you extract the contents of the ZIP file, double-click the License Count Utility application." here is the problem, the .zip that i have downloaded there is not a .exe to install the software, this is the unzip files:

do you know how this runs??

Thanks again!!

This software does not need to be installed, is a java. just clicking in LCUApplication.jra runs fine

thanks !!

Hi amanso again!

After review the LCU i can see all DLUs installed in the cucm, free DLUs and so on, but what i dont understand is how cisco works licenses now in the cucm version 9

For example i have a user with 7965 or similar, which it use 6 DLUs in version 8.x now how works in cucm 9? and what license is now used in cucm 9?

Are there any doc in cisco which explain who it works???

thanks!

Hi Ivan,

You can refer the Discussion

https://supportforums.cisco.com/thread/2009873

regds,

aman

Hi Amanso,

Thanks, i red the discussion but still I have a hesitate, i open LCU and see how many devices are unused, and send mail to cisco with new licenses that i need based in devices unused and licenses used?? Then they should say me if i need UWL/UCL licenses, is this correct?

Another question is I suppose with Enhanced plus is possible have 2 devices, is possible have cisco jabber too?

Thanks.