Cisco Support Community
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements

Welcome to Cisco Support Community. We would love to have your feedback.

For an introduction to the new site, click here. And see here for current known issues.

Proper order of powering down voice servers

Hi,

I'd like to ask for advice on the proper order and procedure of powering down voice servers in order to move them to another location and then power them back up.

The voice servers are as follows:

1. Unity 5.0(1) - HA cluster with Primary and Secondary

2. CUCM 7.1(5) - Publisher and four Subscribers

3. CUPS 8.0(4) - One server

All software is running on the MCS platform. So, these are physical servers, not VMs.

Unity 5.0(1) is integrated with Exchange for Unified Messaging.

My idea is to do the following:

1. Follow the following document to power down Unity 5.0(1):

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/docs/voice_ip_comm/unity/5x/upgrade/guide/ex/5xcurugeappa.html

a. Power down Unity 5.0(1) Secondary

b. Power down Unity 5.0(1) Primary

2. Power down CUPS 8.0(4), using the CLI command "utils system shutdown"

3. Power down all CUCM 7.1(5) Subscribers in parallel using the CLI command: "utils system shudown"

4. Power down CUCM 7.1(5) Publisher using the CLI command "utils system shutdown"

5. Move the servers to the new location

6. Power up CUCM 7.1(5) Publisher

7. Power up all CUCM 7.1(5) Subscribers in parallel

8. Power up CUPS 8.0(4)

9. Follow the following document to power up Unity 5.0(1):

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/docs/voice_ip_comm/unity/5x/upgrade/guide/ex/5xcurugeappa.html

a. Power up Unity 5.0(1) Primary

b. Power up Unity 5.0(1) Secondary

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Please comment on this procedure and let me know if you know of any gotchas or something I may be missing.

The company has dropped Cisco support and is in the process of getting quotes for an upgrade to UC 9.1(1a). If something goes bad during the server move, there's absolutely no Cisco support to count on.

Thanks!

2 ACCEPTED SOLUTIONS

Accepted Solutions

I go with that.

Not sure If I would power the CUCM subs in parrallel, would start one first and see if it comes online successfully. then do the others.

after you powered them all back on, might be worth checking the reporting on CUCM to see if the replication states on all servers is set to 2, indicating all is functioning properly.

=============================
Please remember to rate useful posts, by clicking on the stars below.

VIP Super Bronze

That order looks fine to me. I would also ensure you have a current backup of all the servers as well as bootable media for a reinstall and active SMARTnet on the hardware. You never know what will happen in transit or when you power them back up.

Don't forget to check database replication after power-up

https://supportforums.cisco.com/docs/DOC-13672

Please remember to rate helpful responses and identify helpful or correct answers.

2 REPLIES

I go with that.

Not sure If I would power the CUCM subs in parrallel, would start one first and see if it comes online successfully. then do the others.

after you powered them all back on, might be worth checking the reporting on CUCM to see if the replication states on all servers is set to 2, indicating all is functioning properly.

VIP Super Bronze

That order looks fine to me. I would also ensure you have a current backup of all the servers as well as bootable media for a reinstall and active SMARTnet on the hardware. You never know what will happen in transit or when you power them back up.

Don't forget to check database replication after power-up

https://supportforums.cisco.com/docs/DOC-13672

Please remember to rate helpful responses and identify helpful or correct answers.

Views
Helpful
Replies
CreatePlease login to create content