Views
Helpful
Replies

Pros and cons between SIP and PRI

dtran
Level 6
Level 6

Hi all,

Does anyboby have any document on the pros and cons between SIP and PRI ?

I understand PRI has been around forever and SIP is a fairly new technololgy and it seems like that's where everybody is headed. What are the extra benefits with SIP ?

Thanks in advance !!! I appreciate any inputs/suggestions !!!

D.

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Steven Holl
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Agree with the previous poster.

I'll wear my TDM hat and spout out some disadvantges of SIP over PRI now:

* ISDN is a solid standard.  SIP is still new, and not all providers support all recommendations.  You may likely encounter some interop quirks of some sort at some point.

* You don't have to worry about QoS out towards the cloud and voice quality issues (assuming your TDM gateway isn't across a WAN).

* Better fax support (SG3 speeds).  Modem support.

* Better E911 options.  Some providers have E911 solutions for SIP trunks, but be sure you check that out.

View solution in original post

4 Replies 4

rrobles007
Level 1
Level 1

SIP gives you disaster recovery and scaling.

You can move DID's over to a backup/secondary location and have your phones up and running. (as long as u have a backup gateway and subscriber at the backup site)

You can also terminate DID's from any area code so that you can have a centralized location to bring in all DID's. (instead of ordering local DID circuits at remote sites)

cost savings, disaster recovery and simplified scaling are really its main pluses.

Just a bit of a follow up.   My operations is on PRI service.   My service provider offers a feature called "Trunk Busy Overflow."   Like the name implies, if the one PRI trunk is busy calls will roll to another PRI we own.   If I talk to the right person with the service provider I found I can have multiple PRI connections roll over to the backup site.

Steven Holl
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Agree with the previous poster.

I'll wear my TDM hat and spout out some disadvantges of SIP over PRI now:

* ISDN is a solid standard.  SIP is still new, and not all providers support all recommendations.  You may likely encounter some interop quirks of some sort at some point.

* You don't have to worry about QoS out towards the cloud and voice quality issues (assuming your TDM gateway isn't across a WAN).

* Better fax support (SG3 speeds).  Modem support.

* Better E911 options.  Some providers have E911 solutions for SIP trunks, but be sure you check that out.

thanks gentlemen for your resposne !!! very helpful !!!

I am still iffy about SIP and not sure if the cost saving is really there and more than likely I will run into some sort of interop quirks as Steven mentioned in his response. I currently running with 4 PRIs (2 in Ca and 2 Tx) and disaster recovery worked great for me, all calls come in to Ca first and then overflow to Tx if Ca is busy or offline.

Thanks all !!!

D.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: