cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

PSTN call routing issue.

bkhanal1971
Level 3
Level 3

I have a strage problem with some PSTN calls. First a quick background info.

CUCM ver 8.6 cluster in two locations. RTP and DC. Both sites have local H.323 gateways with a few PRI circuits. Standard local route groups are configured for routing PSTN calls.

My issue is, a user in RTP location dials 919-628-XXXX number he/she is prompted to enter the prefix 1 as if this is the long distance number. As stated earlier, i have RP set to route this type of calls thorugh local gateway. I am not prompted to prefix 1 for every 919 calls though.

Interestingly, when I route the call from DC offce local gateway (local area code in dc is 202) to 919 number, the call goes through without prefix 1. Can anyone tell me why when calling the 919 number from the area with area code of 919 is required to prefix 1? Our telco is Level3 at both locations.

Thank you

4 Replies 4

George Thomas
Level 10
Level 10

It would be difficult to explain the behaviour but you will have to start troubleshooting from the user's Device CSS to see which gateway its going out. Depending on which gateway the call goes out, you might/might not be required to dial a 1.

Please rate useful posts.

Please rate useful posts.

brmeade
Level 4
Level 4

What ISDN plan/type are you sending in each situation? 

Most of the time carriers consider some calls within the same area code as long distance depending upon the trunks they have to use.  For instance, I'm from Virginia Beach (area code 757).  If I call Williamsburg (still in 757 area code), the call is considered long distance and i have to send the 1 even though I can call other Virginia Beach numbers with only 10 digits.

Thank you so much for the response. The 'debug isdn q931' in both gateways shows the isdn plan/type as "any national, any isdn".

fb_webuser
Level 6
Level 6

I agree with brmeade, I've seen providers handling calls for some numbers in the same area code as local and some as LD. Try dialing both numbers from both of the users' phones to verify this behavior.

---

Posted by WebUser Asad Raza from Cisco Support Community App