cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

PSTN call that is forwarded not picked up by VoiceMail

paulcian_2
Level 1
Level 1

I have an extension on a CM 6.1 cluster with Call Forward all via PSTN to another location which has a CM 4.0(2) cluster with Voice Mail. When the call is forwarded from the 6.x to the 4.x the users VM does not pick up but the generic Unity menu comes up.

If I place calls from the 6.1 extension manually to the 4.0(2) extension I get the users Voice Mail. Also if I call from a Cell Phone directly to the extension on 4.0(2)the calls goes to the users voicemail.

The issue is only when I am call forwarding from 6.x to 4.x.

Any ideas

6 Replies 6

Hello, I believe Unity forwards calls to mailboxes based on the original dialed number. Since the original dialed number is an extension that exists on the 6.1, the unity system on the 4.0 cluster doesnt know about this extension, and therefore you get the opening greeting. The 6.1 extension becomes the redirecting number, and Unity looks at the original dialed number. Depending on which version of unity you are using, I believe you can have it forward calls based on redirecting number as well(havent confirmed this, maybe one of the other gurus can chime in to confirm) Hope that made sense.

I believe you are correct when the call is forwarded internally but does that apply when the call is forwarded back out the PSTN.

I would imagine so. If you debug isdn q931 (im assuming youre using PRI here) while testing, you will see that the 6.1 extension that youre calling hit the PRI, and come right back out as the redirecting number. If you debug simultaneously on the 4.0 cluster gateway, you can see how the numbers come in.

It does not make sense that if you forward from a 6.x cluster over the pstn that you would not get the voice mail box of the user on the 4.x cluster. I do agree with Ken though to take a debug of the 931 on the incoming 4.x cluster and see what the calling number is. Also I would look at the port monitor in unity tools to see what comes into unity. This should give you a place to start looking.

Looks like you are on to something. I added the extension of the user from the 6.X CM as an alternate extension in Unity for the 4.x CM and the call went into the users Voice Mail.

My question now is how do I not include the original called extension when a call is transfered out to the PSTN?

Thanks for the reply

Same issue. Call forwarded from cell phone to office DID and would go to general voicemail. Same call directly to office DID worked properly. Added alternate extension that reflected the cell phone number and call flow worked correctly.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: