Helpful
Replies

PVDM2-16 conference

Anil Sharma
Level 3
Level 3

Hi Team,

could you please help me understanding below:

I know max no. of conferences supported with PVDM2-16 is 2 if I am using G.729 is dspfarm profile configs.

In this case max. participants in each conference can be 8.

So technically its said that PVDM2-16 supports 16 participants conference.

However practically is it possible that I define max session to 1 and then 16 participants can join the conference ?

I understand it as reverse is NOT possible to configure 4 conference sessions assuming 4 participants per conference. Is this true ?

Regards,

Anil Sharma.

6 Replies 6

islam.kamal
Level 10
Level 10

Hello

Medium Complexity CODEC:
G.711
G.729a/b
G.726

High Complexity CODEC:
G.729
G.728
G.723.1

If you will use G711 and G729  under DSPfarm profile , you will only have 2 sessions.

PVDM2-16 - Conferencing

- IOS 12.4(15)T has new capability for 32 participants per conference. G711 must be only codec in dspfarm profile. Use the maximum conference-participants 8, 16 .
- If use 32 participants then only get 2 G711 max sessions (conferences.)
- If use 16 participants, get 4 G711 max sessions
- If use 8 participants, get 8 G711 conferences
- If configure any of the g729s in dspfarm profile (medium or high complexity), get 8 or 16 participants per conference. (if 16, get one session. If 8, get two sessions)
- Each DSP supports 2 conferences (of 8 participants each) if G.729 is CONFIGURED on the dspfarm. 
(even if all participants on all conferences are using G.711.) When configured to accept both G.711 and G.729 calls, a single DSP provides 2 conferences because it is also reserving its resources for performing transcoding of streams. 
- Can't share conference on DSP with xcode or voice signaling. DSPs that are configured through Cisco IOS as conference resources will load firmware into the DSPs that is specific to conferencing functionality only, and these DSPs cannot be used for any other media feature.
- Config max-sessions for 2 or 8 (depending on configured codec). Doesn't
make sense to configure less--wasting resources. Again, the figures are for a 1 DSP PVDM2-16. Scale it up for others.You have to keep in your minds that your conference hardware with PVDM2 requires the whole DSP for conferencing. So if you have some Voice cards as FXO card , you will get a problem for conference sessions , because you will get 0.

Just you need to do the following:-

Router(config)# dspfarm profile 1 conference

Router(config-dspfarm-profile)# codec ?    / specify codec /

Router(config-dspfarm-profile)# maximum conference-participants ?  / specify no.of participants/

Thanks

please rate all useful information

Hi Anil,

In addition to what Kamal[+5]  has said, u can use DSP calculator.

http://www.cisco.com/web/applicat/dsprecal/dsp_calc.html

regds,

aman

hello

+5 for Aman ,This tool is very useful  to claculate all required DSPs which you will need based on your solution . Just put your router series , and IOS version.

Thanks

please rate all useful ifnormation

Hi Islam , Aman,

Thanks for your response.

as I understood from one of the line in Islam's first response (mentioned below as well) its possible to have only 1 session with maximum 16 participants when we are using G.729 codec in dsp farm configuration.
We need to use "maximum conference-participants 16"  cmd for this.

Let me know if I misunderstood anything. Will use DSP calcluator too .

- If configure any of the g729s in dspfarm profile (medium or high complexity), get 8 or 16 participants per conference. (if 16, get one session. If 8, get two sessions)

Thanks again.

Regards,

Anil Sharma.

Hello

Yes , you are write .keep in your minds that your conference hardware with PVDM2 requires the whole DSP for conferencing. Can you test and type the following commands and share your feedback?.

Router(config)# dspfarm profile 1 conference

Router(config-dspfarm-profile)# codec g729a

Router(config-dspfarm-profile)# maximum conference-participants ?  / specify no.of participants/

Kindly check the below link page 4 of 6

http://www.ingrammicro.at/pdf/6777640.pdf

Thanks 

please rate all useful information

Hi ,

PVDM2-16 has one DSP which has got 240 Credits/DSP.

Each calls consumes under g729[medium complexity codecs] would consume 30 MIPS.

This means it can support 8 calls.

regds,

aman

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: