cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

[Q] Enabling Outbound Caller-ID Only TO Specific External Numbers

pmchandler
Level 1
Level 1

Currently, our telephony provider blocks the sending of Caller-ID (CLID) information on outbound calls. We now have a requirement to be able to make calls to certain numbers without blocking our CLID. We are running Cisco Unified Communications Manager 7.1 (CUCM 7.x) with a Cisco 2811 gateway via H.323 and a Primary Rate ISDN (PRI).

After requesting the telephony provider to remove CLID blocking, my initial thought was to set up 2 destination patterns on the 2811 gateway; a default pattern which prefixes all numbers with 141 to withold caller id and another pattern that matches against specific dialled numbers that would not prefix 141 (I think this is the equivalent to *67 in the US). However, this would require us to have a known list of destination numbers and to make a change as and when new numbers are added.

I then thought it may a better idea may be to implement the equivalent of an access code so that any number dialled normally would have a prefix of 141 added but anyone that dialled a code (say 1234, for example) before the full number would have the access code stripped and no 141 prefixed to the called number thus enabling CLID to be displayed at the receiver's end.

I would appreciate any feedback on whether this is the best option and, if so, how I would write the translation patters and/or rules.

Many thanks.

4 Replies 4

tobin hawkshaw
Level 1
Level 1

whatever you do you are going to need some logic that decides when to present the number and when not to.

1. Logic in a list (patterns etc..)

2. Logic with calling party (I prefer this)

you shouldn't have to use the 141 prefix, pick one users can remember to differentiate between sending cli and not, just set the calling party line id presentation to restricted and check to see if your line supplier honours it.

Pump both sets of calls through a translation pattern, one includes the  prefix the other just catches everything.

in the translation pattern set calling party line id presentation to restricted or not depended on the translation patter (prefix or no prefix).

There may be a better way buts thats what I would do.

prefix y/n ------translation pattern -----> route pattern------pstn

hth

please rate helpful posts

As a preference, we would like to to do the translation patterin in the Cisco 2811 rather than in CUCM. Do you know how it may be done in IOS?

ok, in that case you will need to pass both calls with and without prefix to the gateway, using either a route pattern that catches both types (prefix and non-prefix) or two seperate route patterns.

You then need two outgoing dial-peers with different destination-patterns, again one with prefix and the other without.

under the dial-peer you want to restrict ani/cli use the 'clid restrict' command.

you still need to make sure your line supplier honours this by testing.

hth

please rate helpful posts

pmchandler
Level 1
Level 1

Thanks for the responses. We have had to put this on the back burrner while we have other work on but I will give you an update once we are able to look at this again.

Thanks.

Paul

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: