cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

qos for gateways

reidg
Level 1
Level 1

can someone explain to me how/where/if the incoming calls to a gateway have dscp/precedence applied.

I see within Clusterwide Parameters under services, on CCM that there are settings there, but are these automatically applied to calls coming in via a gateway, or is this something I need to do on each individual gateway.

thanks

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

David,

Not sure if latest IOSes have changed the defaults from af31 to cs3. If not, you will need the following.

*** for mgcp gateways***

mgcp ip qos dscp signalling cs3

*** for h323 gateways****

dial-peer voice 3 voip

ip qos dscp signalling cs3.

Sankar Nair
UC Solutions Architect
Pacific Northwest | CDW
CCIE Collaboration #17135 Emeritus

View solution in original post

6 Replies 6

dgahm
Level 8
Level 8

Grant,

The router will mark the packets according to the IOS defaults. You should not have to do anything unless you wish to use something different. For MGCP show mgcp will display the values being used:

MGCP media (RTP) dscp: ef, MGCP signaling dscp: cs3

For H323 you have to look at individual dial peers:show dial-peer voice XXX

ip media DSCP = ef, ip signaling DSCP = af31

Please rate helpful posts.

Dave

David,

Not sure if latest IOSes have changed the defaults from af31 to cs3. If not, you will need the following.

*** for mgcp gateways***

mgcp ip qos dscp signalling cs3

*** for h323 gateways****

dial-peer voice 3 voip

ip qos dscp signalling cs3.

Sankar Nair
UC Solutions Architect
Pacific Northwest | CDW

Sankar,

My approach to the signalling change has been to set my class maps to match on either CS3 or AF31. Probably a six of one, half a dozen of the other proposition.

Dave

Dave,

You are right. As long as your switches and routers are programmed to accept cs3 or af31 it shouldnt matter. Another approach would be to keep it all consistent across the board.

Sankar Nair
UC Solutions Architect
Pacific Northwest | CDW

Dave / Sankar, thanks both for the replies; answers my question. I do have a follow on however, do you bother applying any qos control methods to the fastethernet interface of the router, or because 99% of the traffic will be either signalling or media, don't bother. Also is there any counters in place to indicate the quantity of packets marked.

thanks

Grant

Typically you dont need to, unless you want to remark the packet tags to something else (say cs3 to af31) as most MPLS or other types of wan circuit providers use different tags for qos in their cloud. If using a packet remarking policy map on the fastE, you will be able to see the counters using show policy-map interface fa0/0 command.

HTH

Sankar

PS: please remember to rate posts!

Sankar Nair
UC Solutions Architect
Pacific Northwest | CDW
Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: