Views
Helpful
Replies

QoS

Scott Hanson
Level 3
Level 3

Hello all,

I have a mix of IP Phone systems and slowly migrating to Cisco every where.  If I have a system where I can change the DSCP marking to 46 can I just configure the switches as though it was all Cisco phones attached?  Trying to avoid having to reconfigure once the site has been migrated to Cisco

I have a mix of switch ports configures as

priority-queue out

mls qos trust DSCP

and others as

mls qos trust device cisco-phone

mls qos trust cos

If I configure all the switch port with mls qos trust device cisco-phone and mark teh pasckets with dscp 46 will they still be prioritized even though the phones are not Cisco?

Thanks in advance.  All replies rated.

1 Reply 1

Terry Cheema
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

Hi Scott,

The command "mls qos trust device cisco-phone" sets up a conditional trust i.e. trusting the markings where this condition is met - that the device is a Cisco Phone. CDP will be looking for and expecting a Cisco phone. If condition is met markings are trusted cos or dscp (depending on second command) if not then markings will be stripped to 0. Since you have non-cisco phones, you will be not be meeting the condition and markings will be stripped.

In your case, as you have non-cisco phones standardize all the switch configs to trust dscp or cos by the command "mls qos tust dscp" (or cos).

-Terry

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: