Cisco Support Community
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Users might experience few discrepancies in Search results. We are working on this on our side. We apologize for the inconvenience it may have caused.

QSIG Trunk between PBX and Cisco Voice Gateway

Hi,

We are integrating a CCM 5.0 solution into a customer site with an existing Nortel PBX phone system. Initially, we are only delivering 30 IP Phones as a pilot project, but they hope to move everything to IPT over the coming months and years. Currently, we are using a H323 Gateway (config attached) to route all calls from IP Phones via an E1 directly to one of their Nortel PBXs. This works fine, but it does not support Name-of-Caller ID in either direction, i.e. if an IP phone calls a PBX phone , all they see is the calling 4 digit directory number and called number.

So the nest step I think is to change this E1 Pri trunk between Cisco and PBX to a QSIG trunk (sorry if the terminology is flakey)

Anyway, a colleague of mine had issues getting this "name-of-caller-ID" to work in another customer site. He found that the only way to achieve this was to change the Voice Gateway from H323 to MGCP. (In his case the PBX was Avaya)

I just wanted to know if this is what I have to do ? i.e. Change the Gateway from H323 to MGCP and reconfigure everything accordingly

My preference if at all possible would be to leave it as a H323 Gateway with a QSIG trunk to PBX, but not sure if this will work.

Unfortunately, I don't know the model of Nortel PBX and softwarfe version (not sure how relevant this is) - still waiting for this info from the other Service Provider

"name-of-caller-ID" is a must have feature for customer , so presume QSIG is the only way forward

Any help much appreciated

8 REPLIES
Cisco Employee

Re: QSIG Trunk between PBX and Cisco Voice Gateway

I have implemented a few T1/E1 circuits between both Nortel & Avaya PBXs & a Cisco Call Manager gateway. What I have found with H.323 & T1/E1 is that many PBXs place calling name in the 'Facility IE' field instead of the 'Display Name' field.

Call Manager uses the 'Display Name' field to populate the XML display on the IP Phone.

Sometimes 'depending on the PBX' you can get around this by using MGCP which moves the value in Facilty IE to Display IE for Call Manager.

I have had the best luck with Avaya & Nortel by configuring an QSIG trunk between the PBX & the gateway and then having Call Manager control the gateway with MGCP.

Hall of Fame Super Silver

I just implemented CCM 4.1 with Nortel Meridian Option61c via QSIG and experienced the same issue when running H.323, even after adding the "isdn outgoing diaplay-ie" command, so I converted to MGCP and all worked fine.

HTH, please remember to rate all helpful posts!

Chris

Chris,

Could you please send me the configuration done in CCM and Nortel if possible.

Thanks,

Ali Isa

Hi DFOGLER,

Could you plase send me the configuration on the Call Manager, voice gateway and Nortel if possible.

Can you also tell me the Nortel software release.

Thanks,

Ali Isa

EDS

Can someone post the config required on a H323 gateway and an MGCP gateway? Thanks.

Hi,

My Problem is that my client asking to connect to his Mitel PBX, on the same time: I can't use MGCP because the client is connected to PSTN via E1 R2, which is not supported by MGCP due to Cisco documentations. Mitel guys talking about SIP connectivity which I couldn't find any reference in Cisco documentations. Thus, please anyone advice me what to do in this issue

Hi,

I do not know much about Mitel PBX, I guess if it works like any other PBX, it should be possible to connect with CCM without much issues. I am not clear about your setup. How is your connectivity, is it like

PSTN----Mitel-_-_-_-CCM----PSTN

In case of SIP, Which CCM version you are running. If Mitel is supporting SIP, you can create a SIP trunk pointing to the IP address of Mitel. This is possible in CCM4.0(2) and above

Views
Helpful
Replies
CreatePlease to create content