cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Question about VoIP Setup with Cisco 2621XM

khayes1984
Level 1
Level 1

I'm just now learning about VoIP, and here's my setup. I currently have a 2621XM router with c2600-ipvoicek9-mz.124-25b.bin IOS on my router. I currently have 128MB of RAM and 32MB of Flash. I would like to run call manager express 4.0 on my router, but one of our Voice Engineers said I needed to basically max out my router of RAM and Flash. From what i've been researching the 2621xm can only handle 256 MAX of RAM and 48MB of flash. Well I also learned that my IOS does not support call manager 4.0 so I have to buy flash.

I'm working on my CCVP track now and I was thinking about doing a full-blown call manager, but the Sr. Voice guy was like i need to learn express unity and call manager, well the only problem is my router has only one slot for a VIC. I need a FXO and FXS VIC and a NM-V1 for those VIC's and I also need to get a AIM-UME which I can not afford to buy they are WAY to expensive. So what I thought about was running my Call Manager Express and doing a full blown unity with exchange. The only question is, would my router with the current specs support what I'm trying to do?

9 Replies 9

paolo bevilacqua
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Your router is ok for the study course.

For the necessary upgrades, look on the popular auctions site, great deals can be had.

So, how hard is it to do a full-blown Call Manager and Unity? The weird thing is my company only does the CCME and CUE installations. I don't know if me doing a full-blown CCM and Unity would be different than the CCME and CUE.

Very, very different.

Most people use demo versions of CCM that run on VMware, for training and testing.

Not sure where they obtain these from.

I know there's a big difference, i'm just trying to figure out what's going to be the best for the CCVP even though my company does CCME, and unity express.

You have to follow the curriculum strictly, any deviation and you risk failure, even if you know 100 times more and better of what you're supposed to command by mere title.

This is why I don't care anymore about certifications myself, after my CCIE expired.

Well my company will not allow me to touch cisco voice stuff unless I get my certifications. So I really don't have a choice but to get my CCVP. I know what I want to do, it's just trying to juggle between Call Manager/ Unity for the CCVP or doing the Call Manager Express and Unity express. I have VMware, my router, so I have the option to do a full-blown call manager and unity install, but since we're only installing a small business stuff we only do Call Manager Express, not full-blown Call Manager stuff.

Sorry I don't know the certification requirements aND I do not understand your doubts.

If CCVP requires you study and practice CCVP and Unity, that is what you have to do and all the rest is irrelevant.

I guess the CCVP does not cover the express versions. I think I should do a full-blown Call Manager and Unity. So my question to you is this do you know anyone who was able to run Call Manager and Unity successfully on a 2621xm running 12.4 (T) with 128MB of ram and 32MB of flash?

As replied in first post - that is fine.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: