Views
Helpful
Replies

Question on Appliance!

msulieman
Level 1
Level 1

hi

always we read that CCM or Unity or .... may come as an appliance.

what is meant precisely by the term appliance in Cisco.

does the CCM appliance server mean that I got the server (MCS) from Cisco with CCM completely installed (so I have no work on CCM instalation on the MCS)

or the MCS comes with CCM DVD's or CD's and I have to install CCM if so what is the meaning of server appliance?

please advise

thanks

6 Replies 6

azanwar
Level 1
Level 1

The server appliance is preinstalled with an operating system and the Cisco Unified CallManager 5.0 application. It is fully operational upon startup, requiring entry of just a few configuration items such as IP address and domain.

but I think this is not valid for Cisco Unity 4.x or earlier, as the different deployment options available (i.e VM, UM, ...)

right?

but what is meant by Bundle in Cisco Unity world?

also I have query which is when one goes to order appliance and why? and when he goes to order a SW only HW only for CCM and why?

thanks

any ideas please?

i have the same question

Like said in earlier post, appliances comes with the OS and software build pre-loaded (still you have to run the wizard to setup and go through atleast 30-45 minutes of setup time). It looks exactly like regular MCS servers. The price of appliance = price of server + price of callmanager software. You also have the option to buy servers and software ala-carte. The reason this option is there because, if you want to purchase a HP or IBM server of your own (this may be a cheaper option, compared to buying a Cisco MCS server), then all you need to buy from Cisco is the software for Callmanager.

The keyword bundle in the Cisco world has the same literal meaning as the word itself. A group of software or hardware or both clubbed together which may be profitable to purchase as a bundle, compared to buying the individual components ala-carte.

Unity atleast as of today dont have an appliance model, not sure if there will be any in the future.

HTH

Sankar

PS: please remember to rate posts

Sankar Nair
UC Solutions Architect
Pacific Northwest | CDW
CCIE Collaboration #17135 Emeritus

thanks sir