Cisco Support Community
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Community Member

Question on terminating a SIP Trunk connection

I have had a little experience with primarily CME several years ago and will be learning Call Mgr 9.x starting in a few weeks.  In the interim, I have a question I am trying to get answered.  My experience in the past was with using ISDN PRI's for voice.  In the environment I was in, I used the site router as the termination point.  If I understand the terminology correctly, that would make it a voice gateway ?

What is the best way to terminate a SIP Trunk connection ?  Do I still terminate it at a site router and then point Call Manager to that or do I terminate the SIP Trunk directly on the Call Manager server ?  Since I will be running CM on a Cisco UCS C chassis, that might change things a little bit.

The provider we are looking at will feed us the SIP Trunk connection over a separate ethernet interface from the one we already have from them that our internet connection comes in over. They have told us that they will provision this over a private vlan that only they and us will be able to see.  None of thie r other clients will be able to see the address space that the SIP Trunk will be using.

Any Info appreciated,

Ron

7 REPLIES

To answer your first question you were using the voice gateway terminology correctly.

When you start talking about SIP trunking with CUCM you start to talk about Cisco Unified Border elmenet or CUBE.

https://supportforums.cisco.com/docs/DOC-17964#Q1_What_are_the_benefits_of_using_Cisco_Unified_Border_Element_

It sounds like your provider is talking about bringing in a MPLS VPN.

I would recommend checking out the Cisco Press Book "Ip Communications SIP Trunking".

Great book on SIP trunking, goes over what to ask providers,deployment models, and all general SIP trunking questions.

Community Member

Thanks for the book reference.  Will take a look at it and probably get it ordered.

The provider we are looking to use has Fiber in our building and terminates to a Cisco ME switch.  As they described it, they will configure an access port on the ME Switch and feed the SIP trunk over that.

Ron

Ideally you would terminate the SIP connection on a voice gateway and from the voice gateway, you build a SIP trunk to UCM. You will need to purchase CUBE licenses depending on the number sessions you will have. You can find sample configurations here: http://www.cisco.com/en/US/solutions/ns340/ns414/ns728/networking_solutions_products_genericcontent0900aecd805bd13d.html

Please rate useful posts.

Community Member

Thanks for the link.  This is a project I inherited and the money was budgeted and spent before I came on board.

I thought that we would have to use CUBE from what little I understood but was told there was no CUBE licensing purchased.  We will only be terminating 6 SIP Paths turned up at this point.  More may come later but that is an unknown at this point. 

Is there a way I can terminate the SIP Trunk without using CUBE or is the a level of "free" licenses for the level I am looking at ?

Ron

You must be licensed to use CUBE.  The FAQ I sent you have the license types

As far as your question on terminating SIP Trunks with CUCM without CUBE  it is not part of cisco best practices for security reasons.  Check out below.

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/prod/collateral/voicesw/ps6790/gatecont/ps5640/white_paper_c11-620461.html

Gregory beat me to it and I agree with Gregory (+5).

Community Member

Thanks to both of you on the CUBE info.  I have reached out to the reseller that CM 9.x was bought from to see what the licenses are going to cost.  Not really going to enjoy having this conversation with my boss.

Ron

Views
Helpful
Replies
CreatePlease to create content