Views
Helpful
Replies

Quick lab setup for Gateways

kayih
Level 1
Level 1

Hi

Im currently working on the " gateways and gatekeeper " exam, despite having read twice the knowledgenet book (v1) I failed the exam last month. So I have bought the ciscopress book written by denise donuhue. I recommend this book it's pretty good.

I have no experience at all in IPT, I managed to setup a lab with Vmware & callmanager and dynamips for the gatekeepers. but this is not enough, I want to exercise my self with TDM interfaces, pots dial peer and DSP ressources.

My question is as follow : I was thinking of buying 2 routers with voice modules, E1 and DSP, what would be the minimum config that will permit me to connect the routers back to back and simulate an PSTN or something like that.

I really need to practise as I have spent a lot of time reading and reading again,

this exam is SO DIFFICULT that it is quite impossible to know perfectly how each feature works in detail.

thanks for your help.

1 Reply 1

Chris Deren
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

2 routers with T1/E1 cards will do, as you can configure one side as network and the other as users, for that matter you can get away with a single router and a dual VWIC card and simply create a looparound. You can also add an FXO and FXS cards, interconnect them and simulate POTS lines.

HTH,

Chris