Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Receiving FAX with ATA

Hello, we have a CCM cluster (5.1), with GW 2821 (VWIC2-1MFT-T1/E1). The voice calls are working great, but a fax connected through an ATA can't receive anything because it doesn't recognize as a data transmission. However it can send fax correctly.

The ATA has the las firmware (SCCP 3.2.3), and is registered in the CCM.

Any idea?

Thanks.

25 Replies 25

Hi Paolo, it has no errors.

Thanks.

Hi Guys,

I am having the same problem as this posting only difference being i am using 3 bri`s instead of an E1.i have added the network clock 1 BRI0/1/1 but still no change....

I have checked my ATA settings, added the fax rate disable and the modem passthrough nse command to the dial-peers but still no difference.Using H.323.

Any Ideas ??

Have you configured the ata as per document linked above ?

Yes 100%...i was thinking of perhaps reloading the router ?? What do you think...

All fax fails, or just partially ?

They all fail...

Hi Guys,

Please see attached my debugs for this issue...thanks !!

Hi Guys,

I have attached some output for this issue which i have still not been able to resolve :

Anything else i can check please let me know...

Can you post a packet capture of the failed call and let us know the IP of the voice gateway and ATA?

Thanks,

David

Hi,

For security reasons i will not be able to provide the ip addresses for these devices. Is there anything else i can try or look at ??

A packet capture is the quickest way to get to the root of the issue. Because you are doing NSE-based passthrough your troubleshooting options are more limited as compared to fax relay where the helpful command "debug fax relay t30 all-level-1" is available. You confirmed earlier in the thread that you have the ATA and voice gateway configured correctly. Most of the time, problems such as yours are config issues. Can you post your configs so that we can double check your setup?

There are debugs on the ATA using prserv that will allow you to confirm the NSE switchover. You can also use the command "debug voip hpi" along with "no debug voip hpi stats" on the voice gateway (warning - this is an intensive debug so make sure you follow the appropriate debugging procedures before enabling this). The HPI debug can be difficult to decode but it shows IOS programming the DSP for passthrough as well as the NSE switchover messages. Additionally, you can repeat the commands "show call active voice brief" and "show voice call " as the passthrough call is occurring to check the DSP stats for issues. Unfortunately, there is not much else that you are going to be able to get from these devices for a passthrough call.

The packet capture is your best piece of troubleshooting information as it shows the NSE switchover messages, confirms a successful transition to G.711, shows network impairments that could be harming the call, and additionally you can extract the G.711 audio from the RTP stream and then figure out from the fax tones if there is a problem in the T.30 negotiation.

I understand your reluctance in posting packet captures and IP addresses on a forum such as this. You may feel more comfortable working directly with Cisco TAC on this type of issue. I hope the troubleshooting information above helps.

Regards,

David