Views
Helpful
Replies

Receiving the Voice wav file in the email

mightyking
Level 6
Level 6

Hello Guys,

I have a unity VM 4.2 and would like to setup the server to send voice files into the email. I have an IMAP Exchange server. I was able to configure the message notification but can't figure out how the wav file can be sent into the email. Could you please send me a step by step doc showing how to do this?

Thanks,

MK

9 Replies 9

Brandon Buffin
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

The following document describes a way for users to access their voicemail using IMAP.

Using IMAP4 to Access Voice Messages in Cisco Unity System

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/products/sw/voicesw/ps2237/products_white_paper0900aecd8031c947.shtml

It sounds like what you really want is unified messaging so that users' email and voicemail reside in the same box. This does require licensing, but your current voicemail only Unity server can be converted to a unified messaging server. Take a look at the following link. This document is for 3.1, but the principles also apply to 4.2.

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/products/sw/voicesw/ps2237/products_white_paper09186a00808f28d6.shtml

Hope this helps. If so, please rate the post.

Brandon

Thanks Brandon

Brandon,

The way it's configured now, I am receiving the wav file in a seperate inbox. Is there anyway that I can recieve in the same inbox that I receive my emails? Please note our mail exchange and voice exchange are two sepreate servers therefore two seprate domaines.

My second question is that we need to receive the wav file in our Backberry, how can I make this happen?

Thanks,

MK

As I mentioned earlier, it sounds like you really want unified messaging - all email and voicemail messages in one box. Refer to the link in my last post for converting from voicemail only to unified messaging. Also, be aware that you will need UM licensing for this conversion.

There is a plug-in for your Blackberry server called Cisco Unity Mobile Message Access for BlackBerry that will allow you to access your voicemail from your Blackberry. Take a look at the following link.

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/docs/voice_ip_comm/unity/5x/release/notes/mig/bb101rn.html

Hope this helps. If so, please rate the post.

Brandon

Thanks Brandon,

The problem that we didn't install Unified Messaging from the begining is that the company didn't want to let us to use thire existing mail server. They didn't even let us to put the Unity server in the same domaine as the mail exchange server. That's the reason why we now have two seperate Exchagne servers. Now I have two problems. If I understood well from the link that you send me in the previous reply, in order to migrate from VM to UM, we need to buy another server and once the migration is completed the old server is going to be useless. Am I mistaken?

Thanks,

MK

You will not have to buy another server. Check out the Migration section under Strategy 2 in the following link.

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/products/sw/voicesw/ps2237/products_white_paper09186a00808f28d6.shtml

You can use the Migrate Subscriber Data tool to copy the Unity objects of the voicemail-only account to the email account.

Brandon

Thanks Brandon,

I can't use the Migrate Subscriber Data Tool because the Unity VM (including the Voice Exchange) is in a seperate Domain than the Mail Exchange. The company does not want me to use their existing mail exchange and domain. Do you still think it's doable?

Thanks,

If you want the end-user to get the email and voice mail at the very same outlook or OWA, which mean that the voice mail datastore will be same as email datastore. And have to be same domain.

So it is not doable at the seperate domain.

It is a sad story you have. Unified Communications always battle with legacy voice team and server team. They always think you will mess up their system.

Cheers :)

Ken

Thanks Ken!

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: