cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Receiving Trap LinkUP/LinkDown from single channel on a PRI

amorales
Level 1
Level 1

I have some T1 configurated as PRI (serial X/Y:23) and traps configured for LinkUp LinkkDown.

Some times Im receiving some traps from apparently individual channel example linkUp Serial7/7:21 then after that a linkDown for the same S7/7:21.

Questions are:

1. Why first the linkUP then the link Down?

2. Why from Invidual channel if it link suposed to work on Sx/Y:23?

REgards.

5 Replies 5

Michael Owuor
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Hi Antonio,

I think what you are seeing is traps being sent every time a call is placed through the PRI. The D channel (x/x:23) handles the signaling across the PRI, and should therefore stay up as long as the curcuit is functioning ok. The 23 individual B channels on the other hand are normally in a down/down state until a call goes across, then that individual B channel should go into an up/up state for the duration of the call. Look at the output of show ip int brief, to see the status of the all the channels.

Is this what you are seeing?

Regards,

Michael.

thanks for the reply Mike.

That was also my though the first time I saw this trap but I don't think that is true anymore because that pri place hundred of calls by hour.

what do you think?

Hi Antonio,

How frequently are you getting the traps? Is there any discernible pattern about how often they are received? Also are you getting them for all 23 B channels or just some channels?

Regards,

Michael.

It is random, Today I receive them:

Up/down at 1:20am/1:21am, 1:45am/1:47am , 7:49am/7:50am, 8:45am/8:46am.

And other days coupple of them on the mornig and couple on the afternoon...

Weird.

Well, Here is my SNMP configuration on the AS5400.

snmp-server enable traps snmp authentication linkdown linkup coldstart warmstart

snmp-server enable traps calltracker

snmp-server enable traps ds1

snmp-server enable traps voice

snmp-server host XXXXXXXXXX public

According to what I was reading on a cisco document If Calltracker is enabled and SNMP trap for calltracker is also configured it will record the start and the end of each call...

I do not have Calltracker enable but I have the snmp trap line configured, so I will take the line snmp-server enable traps calltracker off to see what happen.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: