cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Recycled 2811 router to be used as a voice gateway?

victoriabardy
Level 4
Level 4

Just want to make sure I am not missing something, we want to re- use a cisco 2811 ISR router for a new remote site we are rolling out.  One of my concerns is that we typically order the gateways with SRST already included.  It looks like I can download the SRST software from the cisco website.  I can right?  There are no gotchas with doing this are there?

Just want to cover my bases here.  Please let me know if you do.

Thank you.

Rgds,

Vicky

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

James Hawkins
Level 8
Level 8

Hi Vicky,

There are quite a few potential gotchas.

First thing to determine is whether you need an IOS image upgrade. If the existing image is IP Base then you will need to ipgrade to IP Voice (or higher if you need certain features). There is a cost to upgrade images.This may also require you to get DRAM and/or Flash memory upgrades.

If you are installing voice cards then you will need PVDM modules to provide DSP resources - the 2811 motherboard has slots for PVDM modules.

Re. SRST this functionality is included in the voice enabled IOS images but Cisco require you to purchase an SRST license to cover the number of Ip phones using the SRST functionality. This is an "Honor" license - you do not need an activation key or similar.

Hope this helps.

View solution in original post

3 Replies 3

James Hawkins
Level 8
Level 8

Hi Vicky,

There are quite a few potential gotchas.

First thing to determine is whether you need an IOS image upgrade. If the existing image is IP Base then you will need to ipgrade to IP Voice (or higher if you need certain features). There is a cost to upgrade images.This may also require you to get DRAM and/or Flash memory upgrades.

If you are installing voice cards then you will need PVDM modules to provide DSP resources - the 2811 motherboard has slots for PVDM modules.

Re. SRST this functionality is included in the voice enabled IOS images but Cisco require you to purchase an SRST license to cover the number of Ip phones using the SRST functionality. This is an "Honor" license - you do not need an activation key or similar.

Hope this helps.

Hi James,

I was nodding my head yes (as in "yep got that covered"), until I got to the SRST license part.  Didn't realize we needed that as well.

Thank you so much for this heads up.  Greatly appreciated.

Rgds,

Vicky

Hi Vicky,

Thanks for the nice rating. A bit more info that may help you.

The 2811 can support up to 35 phones in SRST mode - thepart code to order for the SRST license is FL-SRST-35=

Note that you can buy licenses for a smaller number of phones if that matches your requirements - e.g. FL-SRST-25=

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: