Views
Helpful
Replies

Registering Voice Gateway (FXO) with CME

remi-reszka
Level 1
Level 1

Hi there,

I have a request for 35 analog lines alongside with CME solution on ISR G2 3925 router. It seems lke the only option I have is to provide FXO expansion cards on 2 additional routers, so I will need 9 x VIC2-4FXO cards.(the VG248 gateways are only FXS so I guess Cisco does not have any gateways with FXO ports).

The questions is, can those additional Voice Gateways be registered with CME in a similar way as in CUCM?

Or I would have to do with use of voip dial-peers? The questions in this options is how would I load balance outgoing PSTN calls between the FXO cards on the CME router and other routers?

Thanks is advance.

8 Replies 8

Aaron Harrison
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

Hi

Yes. Depending on your requirements, you can either just use dial-peers to send calls via SIP or H.323 between the routers, or you can register the ports as SCCP using stcapp config for more phone-like features.

Regards

Aaron

Aaron Please remember to rate helpful posts to identify useful responses, and mark 'Answered' if appropriate!

Hi Aaron,

Thanks for the suggestions. What implication would have to register FXO ports of the additional routers in the 3925 CME router as SCCP? Would I need to have more DSP resources on CME routers or DSP resources on the additioanl routers would be used?

Do you have an example of a config for that?

By the way, would you know how many VIC2-4FXO expansion cards would support 2901 router for example? Is is possible occupy all 4 slots for FXO cards giving me 16 ports in total?

Thanks in advance.

Hold on - just re read your post. stcapp would be for FXS; you want FXO.

So you would just configure them as H.323 ports.

Do you really need them to be FXO? At that number of connections you are pretty much always better off in every way going PRI... better reliability etc.

Aaron

Aaron Please remember to rate helpful posts to identify useful responses, and mark 'Answered' if appropriate!

Hi,

Well, if that was an option I would just get 2 x E1 card but sandly it isn't. The client needs to carr yon with 35 analog lines....

Denis Pointer
Level 1
Level 1

it is also possible to do it with 1 gateway if you still have your SM slots available.

I believe the EVM-HD-8FXS/DID cards are still supported on the ISR G2's (I know they were at release with an SM-NM Adapter).  this paired up with 2 EM-HDA-6FXO cards would give you 8 FXS and 12 FXO ports in an SM slot,  with 2 SM slots on the 3925 this gives your 24 FXO ports  3 x VIC2-4FXO cards would give you 36 FXO ports with one VWIC slot to spare

Hi pointer,

Thanks for a very good suggestions. Those cards are still supported on 3925 routers via SM adapter to acomodate thos modules. Could you help me to understand how those modules fit together in the SM? Do I need one FXS module and 2 FXO cards per SM? I looked at the photos of the module  EM-HDA-6FXO and all it has an RJ-21 port that connect to a patch panel with the analog lines I guess, can you confirm that?. Bsically I would need to intert 2 modules  EM-HDA-6FXO into this one EVM-HD-8FXS/DID ? Do I really need to have this module EVM-HD-8FXS/DID?

Thanks in advance

Or, wouldn't be easier to change the router for 3945 (4 SM available as opose to 3925 with 2 SMs) and add 3 modules

NM-HD-2V with 2 VIC2-4FXO per SM giving us 24 FXO ports and 3 additionsl VIC2-4FXO giving us 36 FXO en total. I occupy one SM for SRE-700.

So the questions is 2 x PVDM3-64 will be enough to cover 36 FXO ports and to have some DSP left for conferencing? It should do, shouldn't it?

Thanks in advance.

To use the EM-HDA-6FXO card you do need the EVM-HD-8FXS/DID module.  the FXS is the module itself, the FXO is a daughter card that connects to the module, and you are correct the individual ports are accessed through an RJ21 Amphenol cable. 

Using the 3945 is certainly a good option as well

2 PVDM3-64's certainly sounds like enough off the top of my head.  I reccomend running everything through the DSP calculator tool at http://www.cisco.com/web/applicat/dsprecal/dsp_calc.html  it will tell you what you need for sure based on your conferencing / transcoding / codec / etc requirement.

I believe the NM-D2-2V has enough DSP resources built in to support the FXO ports there, so you would only require DSP's for the FXO cards in the VWIC slots and your conferencing config.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: