Views
Helpful
Replies

Remove inactive partition in CM appliances 5 or 6

ryan_oconnell
Level 3
Level 3

Hello all,

In CUCM versions 5 and above on the appliances. After an upgrade there is an "active" and a "inactive" partition. Does anyone know how to delete the "inactive" partition?

3 Replies 3

Chris Deren
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Why would you want to remove it? The reason for Active and Inactive is so that you can revert back and forth between 2 software releases. When you upgrade CUCM the previous load will go to inactive partition and if things dont work well on the new release you can aloways revert back.

HTH,

Chris

Yes I fully understand the point of the the inactive partition, but it also makes my VMWARE images in my lab two times as big :). If I could delete the inactive partition I would be able to have a VMWARE image half the size, I guess you can see where I'm going with this. I'm an integrator and having images of all the various builds of CM is of value to me and yes I know storage is getting cheaper but it's still not free :)

Ryan,

Don't allocate all disk space now when you create your VMWare machine. My LAB CCM6.0 is only taking up 13GB. If you did already, I'm not sure how to change it without rebuilding the VM and reinstalling CCM.

I'm not sure what would happen if you deleted the inactive partition. You probably won't be able to practice upgrades if that mount was empty. Database is replicated to the inactive partition also. Not sure what would break there also.

Anyways, boot to a linux CD in recover mode, determine what partition you are currently using and delete the other one. See what happens. Might want to leave the directory.

NEVER do this on a production system. I would say don't even boot into a linux rescue mode in a production system.