Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Ring List Unavailable!

I have a customer where we recently installed CUCM 6.1.2.1104-1. I'm sure it worked before, but could be wrong. Once one goes to User preferences, rings, default ring. it give me a message Ring List Unavailable!. I have allready loaded the latest available devpack "cmterm-devicepack6.1.2.1131-1.cop.sgn", without any luck. The customer has all 7945 phones. The strange thing is that when I use mu Cisco IP Communicator on the same cluster, I don't have any issue. Any suggestions?

6 Replies 6

Jaime Valencia
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

go to the TFTP and make sure the ringlist.xml file is loaded there, also verify any connectivity issues

HTH

java

if this helps, please rate

HTH

java

if this helps, please rate

Hello, I was hoping for a follow up on this thread.

CM version: 6.1.2.1000-13, installed devicepack-6.1.2.1131-1.cop.sgn almost a week ago. It was brought to my attention today that the only ring tone availabe on a 7921 is 'Chirp 1', further investigation shows no available ring tones on a 7920, and intermittent issues on 7940 including error message 'Ring List Unavailable...'.

Java, I went to TFTP File Management, did search for 'ringlist.xml' which returned nothing. So what now, what would've have happened with the dev pack upgrade? Any assistance would be appreciated. I've also opened a TAC case.

Regards,

Jason

My apologies, 'Ringlist.xml' is there, didn't realize the file search was case sensitive?? At any rate, I appreciate any suggestions.

Thanks,

Jason

Jason,

I can for the life of me not remeber what we had to do to sort this issue out. I think it was something stupid like a default gateway or something that was wrong.

Regards

Louis

Hello, thank you for the reply. Per TAC, I reset the TFTP service and reset the device pools, this resolved the issue.

Not sure why this was neccessary as both steps would've occurred while rebooting the cluster after installing the device pack, but the issue is resolved.

Thanks,

Jason

this is a bug, which happens since version 3.x .... yes ... 3.x

anyway, what happens is that TFTP cache some files into the memory, even restarting the TFTP service does not clean such cached files from RAM. maybe restarting the server (since that will  clean the memory and make the file get cached again).

apparently TFTP cache some files to make it promptly available to phones, this is useful when  you have a massive firmware upgrade for example and you have several phones requesting the firmware (.bin files). if the file is cached the server does not need to read such files from disk but it does from the cached file on RAM memory instead, as we all know RAM is much faster than disks.

what happens is that ringlist.xml is one of those files.

my case i went from version 8.5 to 11.5, here is how i fixed.

1 - got all the files from 8.5 (ringlist.xml, DistinctiveRingList.xml and all files with the .raw extensions)

2 - uploaded all files manually to the new CUCM (version 11.5) by going to OS admin >> software upgrade > tftp file management >> upload.

3 - go back do CUCM admin, into service parameters >> Cisco TFTP >> advanced and change "Enable Caching of Constant and Bin Files at Startup Required Field" to FALSE

4 - restart TFTP

5 - Restart the phones.

6 - check if the issue is fixed

7 - go back to the service parameters and change " Enable Caching of Constant and Bin Files at Startup Required Field" back to TRUE.

8 - restart TFTP service again

all done! =)

original bug on 3.x

http://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/support/docs/voice-unified-communications/unified-communications-manager-callmanager/23560-ring-type-23560.html

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: