Views
Helpful
Replies

rj-21 cable and distribution panel

xiaoliangyue
Level 1
Level 1

Hi,guys,

I'm looking for vendors and part numbers of RJ-21 cable and distribution panel for VG224. I guess Cisco doesn't produce these gears?

Thanks,

Jonathan

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Hi Jonathan,

You are most welcome my friend!

The Amphenol port on the VG224 is Female so you will need to order a Male RJ21. The RJ21 on the example Patch Panel is Male, so yes, a RJ21 Male to Female would be required :)

Hope this helps!

Rob

View solution in original post

6 Replies 6

Rob Huffman
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Hi Jonathan,

You have many options for cables and patch panels. Probably one for every situation that we can think of :) Here are the parts you would need to connect to a 24 port, rack mounted Patch Panel (without needing to terminate the cable with Bix or 110 connecting tools on terminating blocks). The Stonewall Cable website appears to be down today but is usually a great source. If you just Google "Cisco RJ21 Cables" you will get lots of hits :)

Cisco RJ21 Cables

http://www.stonewallcable.com/product.asp?dept%5Fid=102&pf%5Fid=SC%2D9754

24 Port with RJ21 Male

http://www.cablingsys.com/iteminfo.asp?productcode=017-224M62U

These are just examples :) I have not checked pricing $$

Hope this helps!

Rob

Hi, Rob, that helps a lot, thank you very much!

I've worked on VG224, but don't remember the details on wiring. According to Cisco website

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/docs/routers/access/vg224/hardware/installation/guide/higcabl.html#wp1006993

the RJ21 connector on VG224 looks Female?

Can you confirm if the flowing illustrates the connection right, if you happen to remember?

VG224(F) -> (M)RJ21 cable(F) -> (M)patch panel

Thanks,

Jonathan

Hi Jonathan,

You are most welcome my friend!

The Amphenol port on the VG224 is Female so you will need to order a Male RJ21. The RJ21 on the example Patch Panel is Male, so yes, a RJ21 Male to Female would be required :)

Hope this helps!

Rob

Hi Rob.

We've got project with 2xVG224. Customer needs 40 analog fax machines to be connected.

I had been looking for rj21 cables and Telco panels to be connected via Male or Female but didn't find.

So we've done the other way. We've bought 2xrj21 male cables (with open ends) and 2xPatch panel (Cat. 3) with 25 ports each.

Then we took "rj21 color" table and "rj21 vs patch panel port numbers" table and stitched contacts with a special tool.

Then we've tested all the contacts from rj21 cable to rj45 contacts and pulled wires using cable ties.

All the pics and tables are in attached files.

P.S. Be careful to tie wires into holding places. Don't press too much (it could damage contacts between ports and holding places).

Hi Andriy,

Yes, looks very good my friend +5

Many people don't have the proper "punch-down" tools to accomplish

this, but your method is exactly the way it should be done if running

the 25 pair to a cross-connect or patch panel like the one you've used here.

Great job!

Cheers!

Rob

"Seek it out and ye shall find  " 

- OneRepublic

Thx, Rob.

Yesterday Customer called me telling that port №16 on one of two panels doesn't work. I was surprised because at the moment of installation all ports worked normally. We tested them. So we came to site, tested port, it hadn't been worked.

TSHOOT:

We moved out panel cutting cabel ties and restitched contact to port №16 with a special tool. The port bacame working! We have moved it back on place and pulled RJ21 using cable ties like before.

Conclusion:

Contact pair of wires appropriating to port №16 have been displaced, losing the Rx/Tx ability.

KR

Andriy

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: