Views
Helpful
Replies

Route Pattern Help

Eric.Biggie
Level 1
Level 1

Hello All,

I live outside the U.S. and need help making route patterns in CUCM7.   I have all inside network IP phones working and the gateway is setup and being controlled by MGCP.  The gateway is a 3725 with 4FXO mod supporting 4 analog lines out to the PSTN.   I have 4 IP phones and I would like each phone to have it's own number to the PSTN.  I'm pretty sure everything is setup Ok to this point, but I just don't know what route patterns I need to use?

My phone ext. (dn's) are: 7001, 7002, 7003, and 7004.  I can dial to each one within the network just fine, but I can't dial out to the PSTN? Also, I know my PSTN lines are working fine, because I've tested them all with an analog phone.

Any help creating these route patterns is very much appreciated!

Thanks,

Eric

6 Replies 6

William Bell
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

I am not sure how far you have gone with the configuration so here is a quick breakdown of what you would need to do if you wanted to send calls out of all the FXO lines.  Meaning, no specific restrictions or selection criteria exist.

Assume:

Phone CSS:  Phone_CSS

PSTN Pattern Partition: PSTN_PT

PSTN_PT is added to Phone_CSS

Steps:

1.  Create gateway:  Since you stated taht the gateway is setup and controlled by MGCP, I will assume that the gateway status is registered.  You can check this on your CUCM system by looking at each FXO interface and see it if is registered or by looking at gateway status in RTMT.  On the voice gateway you can check mgcp using "show mgcp" and you can check registration by using "show ccm-manager".

2. Create a Route Group (Call Routing-->Route/Hunt-->Route Group)

- Name: MyPOTS_RG

- Members:  Add all of your gateway interfaces (MGCP endpoints)

3. Create a Route List (Call Routing-->Route/Hunt-->Route List)

- Name: MyPOTS_RL

- Route Group member: MyPOTS_RG

After completing the above steps you have created a "voice path" which you can assign to Route Patterns.  The patterns you need will depend on the dialing rules for your geographic location, traffic engineering, and other preferences.  Sticking with our example, you could create a pattern like so (I am going to use the NANP.  I know you live outside the US, but you didn't say where so I can't dream up an example for your location):

- Pattern: 9.[2-9]XX[2-9]XXXXXX

- Description:  Example Local 10-digit

- Partition: PSTN_PT

- RouteList: MyPOTS_RL

- Called Party Transform: Strp Pre-Dot (i.e. get rid of the "9" which is the steering digit)

Assuming the analog path is healthy, when a phone using Phone_CSS dials 92025551212, they will use the above pattern and route to the PSTN.

HTH.

Regards,
Bill

Please remember to rate helpful posts.

HTH -Bill (b) http://ucguerrilla.com (t) @ucguerrilla

Please remember to rate helpful responses and identify

Hi Bill,

I've already done everything you've stated, but I must be missing something because it doesn't work.  When I call the phone number from an outside line, I get a call manager recording saying the "call can't be completed as dialed". Since this recording is in English (not German) I know this is from the CCM. When I try to dial out from one of my IP phones, it just goes to a busy signal.  

I've verified via the gateway ios command prompt, that it is registered with CCM7.  Here's my routing setup in CCM (I only have 1 FXO port added so far):

Route group:  AALN/S1/SU1/0@3725 (All ports)

Route list: Biggie Germany PSTN

Route pattern: 9.!

in the route pattern page, this is what I have:

Pattern Definition
Required Field
Required Field
Required Field(Edit)
Route this pattern
Block this pattern
Required Field
Required Field

Calling Party Transformations
Required Field
Required Field
Required Field
Required Field

Connected Party Transformations
Required Field
Required Field

Called Party Transformations
Required Field
Required Field

ISDN Network-Specific Facilities Information Element

Not sure if any of this is correct, but I thought it should have worked?

Thanks,

Eric

Hi Bill,

I've made a little bit of progress.  I'm able to get an incoming call now, but not able to dial out to the PSTN.  I went to the gateway device page and then clicked into the 1st FXO port config.  Originally I have the PSTN telephone number in the "attendant dn number" field.  I changed this to 7001 and it now routes an incoming call to my IP phone with 7001 ext. 

When I use the same phone and try to dial out, I get a recording saying my "call can't be completed as dialed".  Any idea's?  from this point I really don't know what else to try....

Thanks in advance,

Eric

I assume that the recording is coming from CUCM?

I would check DNA to see if the call path you expect to traverse lines up with the CUCM view of the world.  You can access DNA by going to https://PublisherNameorIP/dna.

From DNA, choose Analysis->Phones.  Find your test phone.  Select the line you would use to place a call. Enter in the digits that you are testing with and execute the analysis.   A good path will have "Match Result=RouteThisPattern".  If the results suggest the pattern is not routing and you don't see the FXO you are expecting, then you will want to check your dial plan to ensure there is no overlap/conflict.

The other thing to check is on the FXO line, make sure you have the port direction set to bothways.

If none of this is panning out, then you may need to dig into traces on the CM and mgcp side.  For example, you can use "debug mgcp inout" on the voice gateway.  Enable terminal monitoring, then place your call.  Do you see data streaming on the screen?  Yes, then you CUCM is sending the call to the gateway.  No, then CUCM is not sending calls to the gateway.  The former means that something is wrong in how the call is handed off to the carrier.

Without touching the scenario I am guessing at what could be the problem here.

HTH.

Regards,
Bill

Please remember to rate helpful posts.

Hi Bill,

Thanks for your replies!  I appreciate your help.

Below is the output from the analysis.  I guess I'm not getting an outside dial tone?  I have the port set to ground start, maybe loopstart is better?  When I plug a normal analog phone into the PSTN line, it works fine.

• Results Summary
    • Calling Party Information
    • Dialed Digits = 907452821707
    • Match Result = RouteThisPattern
    • Matched Pattern Information
    • Called Party Number = 07452821707
    • Time Zone =
    • End Device = Biggie Germany PSTN
    • Call Classification = OffNet
    • InterDigit Timeout = NO
    • Device Override = Disabled
    • Outside Dial Tone = NO
  • Call Flow
    • TranslationPattern :Pattern=
    • Route Pattern :Pattern= 9.!
    • Route List :Route List Name= Biggie Germany PSTN
  • Alternate Matches
    • Note: Information Not Available
  • I would try loopstart.  The choice depends on what the carrier is expecting.  You try it out, if it works great.  I am assuming you have double checked routegroup/routelist configs.

Good luck.  It is the weekend and I am heading out for a hike.  Sorry we couldn't get this resolved quicker.

HTH.

Regards,
    Bill