route pattern question

jjoseph01
Level 3
Level 3

All, what is the difference in the following:

9.[2-9]XXXXXX

and

[2-9]XXXXXX

I understand that the first looks for a access 9 for outside dialtone, I have seen before where some route patterns showed up like the second. Can someone tell me which one would be right if customer had to dial "9" to get outside line to make external call?

6 Replies 6

royalblues
Level 10
Level 10

If you need a dial tone for an outside call use the first one.

The . operator is specifically used for this

HTH

Narayan

Should I use the discard digits "predot" option at the bottom of that route pattern page?

Correct, use the first one 9.[2-9]XXXXXX and use the predot option, that way you will only send the [2-9]XXXXXX digits (7 digits) to the Telco, otherwise you will also be sending the 9, which is a number that actually does not exist and the call will not be completed.

Thank you both.

Hi John,

Hope all is well with you! Here is some related info;

Select PreDot from the Discard Digits drop-down menu at the bottom of the page in the Called Party Transformations section.

By doing this, you will not forward the leading 9 to the PSTN.

Check the Provide Outside Dial Tone box if you want to hear a secondary dial tone after dialing the leading 9

From this good doc;

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/products/sw/voicesw/ps556/products_tech_note09186a0080094b2a.shtml

Hope this helps!

Rob

Great document Rob, Thanks for the help.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: