Cisco Support Community
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements

Welcome to Cisco Support Community. We would love to have your feedback.

For an introduction to the new site, click here. If you'd prefer to explore, try our test area to get started. And see here for current known issues.

Router 2901 + VWIC3 and also DSP module? to get a VoIP gateway

Hello,

Now a days I have the router 2901 and the VWIC3 card but none DSP module.

I'm trying to configure the 2901 Router as VoIP Gateway, to redircet calls from PSTN (Primary E1 trunk) to a VoIP PBX (SIP trunk) and from the SIP trunk to the Primary E1 trunk.

To do that I'm using the documentation in

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/docs/ios-xml/ios/voice/sip/configuration/15-mt/voi-sip-isdn.html#GUID-987F4D07-B09E-489B-9713-49E38D4E93B0

But when I arrive to the point:

ciscoVoIPgateway(config)#controller e1 0/0/0

ciscoVoIPgateway(config-controller)#pri-group timeslots 1-31

% Not enough DSP resources available to configure pri-group on controller E1 0/0/0

% The remaining dsp resources are enough for 0 time slots.

% For current codec complexity, 2 extra 16 channel dsp(s) are required to create this voice port.

Do I need to buy also a DSP module? or There is a work around to get it without DSP module?

Thanks in advance

David Pinedo

Presence Technology

7 REPLIES
Cisco Employee

Yes, you need DSPs, no, no workarounds, you need to buy DSPs for this.

HTH

java

if this helps, please rate

www.cisco.com/go/pdihelpdesk

HTH

java

if this helps, please rate

www.cisco.com/go/pdi

Thank you for your confirmation.

Do I need any other module?

VIP Purple

Hi David,

As suggested by Jaime[+5] , u need to have DSPs.

Yes, u need to buy PVDM3 modules which need to be inserted on motherboard of Cisco router along with licenses.

you can refer the link

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/prod/collateral/routers/ps10538/aag_c07_563807.pdf

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/prod/collateral/modules/ps3115/data_sheet_c78-553971.html

regds,

aman

Thank you for your indications aman

It's the first time we do something like this with a Cisco router. We have always used Digium or Sangoma gateways which are an integrated solution for VoIP gateways. So, it's a bit tedious to know which esactly hardware do we need to do the same with CISCO routers. Also the IOS configuration is being difficult to localize and understand (in comparision with the solutions previously commented, which have a web graphical interface).

So I will be grateful if you can confirm us if do we need anything else to configure our router as VoIP gateway. Now a days we have:

• (B32K)Cisco 2901 Integrated Services Router (Cisco IOS Software, C2900 Software (C2900-UNIVERSALK9-M), Version 15.1(4)M4, RELEASE SOFTWARE (fc1))
  • Module VWIC3-1MFT-T1/E1 - 1-Port RJ-48 Multiflex Trunk - T1/E1
  • Module PVDM2-16 (to buy)
  • A Primary E1 ISDN trunk (32 channels) --> By the moment we can infrautilize it (we can work with 10 channels only, is a test environment)
  • An Asterisk PBS, connected to the IP network

Regards

VIP Purple

Hi David,

Do check for Voice license ?

you can run the command show license and show license feature.If u do not have licenses, u can generate and run in evaluation mode for 30 days in test environment.

regds,

aman

Hi aman and thank you for your help again,

It seems that I have a "IP base" license.

I have activated in evaluation mode also de uck9. I suppose this is the UC license which talk about in the page

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/prod/collateral/routers/ps10616/white_paper_c11_556985_ps10537_Products_White_Paper.html#wp9000791

Isn't it?

ciscoVoIPgateway#show license feature

Feature name             Enforcement  Evaluation  Subscription   Enabled  RightToUse

ipbasek9                                no           no          no             yes           no

securityk9                              yes          yes         no             no            yes

uck9                                      yes          yes         no             yes           yes

datak9                                   yes          yes         no             yes           yes

gatekeeper                             yes          yes         no             no            yes

SSL_VPN                              yes          yes         no             no            yes

ios-ips-update                         yes          yes         yes            no            yes

SNASw                                   yes          yes         no             no            yes

hseck9                                  yes          no          no             no                no

cme-srst                                yes          yes         no             no            yes

WAAS_Express                       yes          yes         no             no            yes

UCVideo                                 yes          yes         no             no            yes

VIP Purple

Hi David,

the snapshot is right showing Unified communcations in Eval mode.

regds,

aman

Views
Helpful
Replies