Hi,

Windows 7 64-bit SP1 on Dell Latitude Laptop E6420

IP Communicator 7.0.5.4

JRE 1.6.0_31

McAfee Host Intrusion Prevention 7.0

McAfee Virus Scan 8.7

McAfee Endpoint Encryption

Plantronics 2.6

Recently, I upgraded my Java runtime from 1.6.0_24 to 1.6.0_31.  My Plantronics Update Mgr. also suggested that I apply an update, which I did (though I don't remember what the prior version number was.)

For my day-to-day work I use a Windows 7 account with no administrator privileges.  Ever since I made these two changes, I can no longer run IP Communicator, unless I choose to run it with administrator privileges, in which case it works fine.  Without the administrator privileges the application still appears, but the central window, which usually shows my telephone number and soft key actions, is pitch black.  Before I made these changes, I could execute IP Communicator fine, with no administrator privileges required.

I've uninstalled and reinstalled IP Communicator.  I've tried disabling the McAfee Host Intrustion Prevention.  I've also executed IP Communicator with trace files generated, though I couldn't find any errors which stood out, which didn't also appear prior to the date on which I made these software upgrades.

Do you have any other suggestions on what I should try, so that I may find out why IP Communicator will only run properly with administrator privileges?

Thanks much,

Ted

8 Replies 8

anchoudh
Level 9
Level 9

Hi Ted,

About User Account Control (UAC):

In Windows 7 and Vista, users by default do not invoke applications with administrator privileges even if the user is an administrator. Refer to Microsoft UAC functionality for reference. The network preference settings in Cisco IP Communicator is one functional area that requires this elevated privilege.

In Release 7.0.4, users with administrator privileges and UAC enabled must right-click and select Run As Administrator to change Cisco IP Communicator network settings. You can also disable UAC entirely.

For deployments, we recommend configuring network settings at install time, so end users do not need to access the settings required for registration

Reference: http://www.cisco.com/en/US/docs/voice_ip_comm/cipc/7_0/english/release/notes/CIPC70_RN.html

Please try "disable the UAC setting" and check again.

Hope it helps.

Anand

Please rate helpful posts by clicking on the stars below the right answers !!

Hi, Anand:

Thank you for your quick response!

Hmm.  I'm not sure that I'd like to disable UAC.  I'm not trying to change the network settings per se -- merely to invoke the configuration that has already been put in place.  I am able to "ping" the two, TFTP IP addresses without the administrator rights.  It's just so odd, because I had it working before on this same release, without having to run as administrator.  I wish that I could figure out how I'd gotten it to work.  The computer came from my company, pre-installed with its Windows 7 base image.  I had just downloaded and configured the IP Communicator as the administrative user and then added my non-administrator account, as I recall, and I was able to use the soft phone with no problem.  It had been a non-issue.

Thanks much,

Ted

Hi Ted,

Disable the UAC from control panel -> User Accounts -> User
Access Control Settings -> Disabled by pulling down the control level to
minimum/bottom.

Restart the machine and check CIPC and it should worked.

Please refer the below thread on the same issue, and it worked.

https://supportforums.cisco.com/message/3607602#3607602

Hope it helps.

Anand

Please rate helpful posts!!

Hi, Anand:

I thought I'd remembered tonight what I'd done a few months back.  I thought that I had:

1. Granted Administrator role to my non-administrator, day-to-day account.
  2. Uinstalled and reinstalled IP Communicator, using that account.
  3. Then, removed Administrator privileges on that account, to find out that the application continued working correctly without them.

So, I tried repeating those steps tonight, but it didn't work.  I still need to supply the Administrator's password.  It's okay, though.  I'm not sure whether my company wants its employees to turn off UAC, so I'll just live with it.  I have so many other passwords to enter at the start of my day anyway.  Thanks for your time with my issue.

Hi Ted,

If I see your description above you have uninstalled and reinstalled the CIPC without Administrative previledges, so it is a mandatory step or otherwise disable UAC and do it. Please go ahead according to your requirements.

Also please dont forget to rate the helpful posts by clicking on the stars below all the right answers.

Thanks,

Anand

I'm not sure you'll see this reply to an old thread.  I have the same problem described by you.  Did you ever figure out a solution?  I am trying to install on Windows 10 Pro the Cisco IP Communicator and am running into the same issue you had.  Hope you get this message.

Hi, Joe:

No, I just kept typing in the password and lived with it.  However, since then, my company has completely moved to Cisco Jabber, so I'm no longer on IP Communicator.

Ted, thank you for the response on such an old thread.  I'll keep working on it.

Joe

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: