Views
Helpful
Replies

SCCP Phone Load Question

Kiley Arena
Level 1
Level 1

Hello all,

I got a call earlier from a user who needs to prevent certain phones from having their firmware load upgraded.  They have certain loads locally  stored on a server and they want to make sure that these loads supercede any other loads that may be stored on the call manager.  I see an area on the device that is labeled "Phone Load Name".  What I'd like to know is, if I put a load in there, will that load supercede the other, higher loads stored on the call manager?

Thanks in advance for your assistance!

Kiley                  

9 Replies 9

Aman Soi
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

Hi Kiley,

As far as I know,the loads which are mentioned in DEvice ----Phone ----Phone load Name forces IP phone to download the same from TFTP server even if a higher load is present.

regds,

aman

No, the phone load under device has higher priority, set it there to do what you want.

Sent from Cisco Technical Support iPad App

HTH

java

if this helps, please rate

Jaime,

Excellent.  That's what I thought but, again, I needed confirmation.  One more thing, Jaime, the user wanted to know if the phone was taken off of the network for an unspecified amount of time, would that load still apply.  I told him that as long that load was on the call manager server, it would get that load, regardless of the time.  Hopefully this is a correct statement????!!

Thanks so much!!

Kiley

Jaime,

Let me clarify my last post - the phone will sometimes come onto the network and sometimes it will be taken out (hence the need for them to have a locally stored load).  His concern is that when he does put the phone  back on the network, will the preferred load sill work.  That's when I told him as long as his preferred load is on the call manager, the phone should come on the network and register.

Thanks,

Kiley

Phone wont download the load every time it connects, it gets the .cmf.xml file, and if its the same load there, and the one on the phone, it carries on with the process. It will only download a different load when its not the same on the phone and on the config file.

HTH

java

Jaime,

So, to make sure I understand what you're saying - the .cnf.xml file is the file used for the phone load?  If that is true then as I understand the process:  the phone comes online and looks for the .cnf.xml file from the tftp server.  If it matches what is listed on the device Phone Load Name, the phone will not dowload a different load?

I assume that, if for whatever reason, the preferred.cnf.xml file is NOT on the call manager, the phone will not register because of the preference for the specific .cnf.xml file listed in the Phone load name???

Thanks,

Kiley

Yes, if it cannot find his config file, it wont even register as the CUCM servers are listed there

HTH

java

Awesome,

Thank you very much Jaime and others for your information.  I greatly appreciate it!!!!

Kiley

[+5] to Mr. Jaime for the explaination.

regds,

aman

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: