Cisco Support Community
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements

Welcome to Cisco Support Community. We would love to have your feedback.

For an introduction to the new site, click here. And see here for current known issues.

Send RESTART to Telco from ios

Hi all!

Not sure if this is placed correctly but I´ll give it a try :-)

We have a lot of isdn connections in various countries in europe. All Telcos have different ways of handling isdn interfaces, some require a restart to be sent when bouncing the isdn-interface (let´s say, taking the router/cube/voice gw/whatever down for maintenance). Some voicegw:s run mgcp via cucm and here we can check or uncheck the "inhibit restart bla bla bla" in cucm configuration. Some voicegw:s run h323 or and sip. Is there a way to send a RESTART to the Telco from ios (towards the Telco) ?

We have some use cases where the Telco is blocking the channels after a reload (not verified with Telco - bu we just se something like "channel/circuit unavailable" on outgoing calls). Eventually something times out and we get a restart from the Telco side and things start to work again. IT would be nice if one could trigger a restart from the cpe-side

I found this command that I put in, but it does not seem to stick, it does not show up in "sh runn" or "sh runn all"

int serial 0/0/0:15

(config-if)#isdn layer         
(config-if)#isdn layer2-flap RESTART

What is it used for, or is there any other way?

Please advice, to be able to "kick" the Telco from our side with a RESTART would be a really valuable tool :-)

Everyone's tags (1)
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Cisco Employee

Hi Bjorn,I tested the command

Hi Bjorn,

I tested the command on 2 routers.

On the 3825, running 15.1(4)M7, the command did NOT stick.

On the 3945, running 15.3(3)M1, the remained there after a reload also.

So it's not sticking on the 15.1(4)M ios train. Can you try moving to 15.2 and check if it sticks?

FYI, 15.1(4)M6 is not a safe version of IOS if you have SIP tcp and udp sockets open.

I suggest you take a look at this: http://tools.cisco.com/security/center/content/CiscoSecurityAdvisory/cisco-sa-20131106-sip

Thanks

7 REPLIES

Is there really no one who

Is there really no one who knows? :-)

Cisco Employee

Bjorn,As per the reference,

Bjorn,

As per the reference, this is not a default command, so it should stick to the configuration.

http://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/td/docs/ios/dial/command/reference/dia-cr-book/dia_i2.html#wp1012642

As per the description the command fulfills your requirement.

What IOS version are you running?

Thanks

Hi, Yeah, it should stick,

Hi,

Yeah, it should stick, but it does not :-)

we are running 15.1(4)M6

The 2921 shipped with "c2900-universalk9-mz.SPA.152-4.M5.bin" but that had a nasty bug with dsp so I downgraded this one to the one mentioned above.

I guess that "by design" this RESTART should kick in if I shut the controller and bring it back up - but no...

Cisco Employee

Hi Bjorn,I tested the command

Hi Bjorn,

I tested the command on 2 routers.

On the 3825, running 15.1(4)M7, the command did NOT stick.

On the 3945, running 15.3(3)M1, the remained there after a reload also.

So it's not sticking on the 15.1(4)M ios train. Can you try moving to 15.2 and check if it sticks?

FYI, 15.1(4)M6 is not a safe version of IOS if you have SIP tcp and udp sockets open.

I suggest you take a look at this: http://tools.cisco.com/security/center/content/CiscoSecurityAdvisory/cisco-sa-20131106-sip

Thanks

Alright, thanks for the reply

Alright, thanks for the reply. We have no exposed sip running on theese but good to know. I have to double check the supported versions in a matrix as we run vxml server on them, legacy voice cards etc. Good to know it´s an ios dependant command.

Cisco Employee

Glad I could help! :)

Glad I could help! :)

Cisco Employee

Bjorn, I did some research

Bjorn, I did some research and it's a couple of bugs on the IOS.

CSCuo26339 is an internal defect. That is for 15.1(4)M and 15.1(3)T trains.

CSCtx43520 is the defect that fixed earlier. this was on 15.2 IOS trains.

Sree

Views
Helpful
Replies
CreatePlease login to create content