You should get your PAK number for the licenses to email@example.com and associate it with the new server's mac address. If you still have the old license file, you can email that to them with the new mac address.
am on it as we speak and all services are started. im assuming its a licensing issue. here is the scenario
all services started on both systems. test phones are registered and calling.
when i attempt to failover to the sub, the phones are stuck in registering. when i check the sub my calling seach spaces are gone as well as all my users. i reconnect the pub and they all appear as usual.
i check the licensing report and it says that only one node used and two are free.
SIP traces provide key information in troubleshooting SIP Trunks, SIP
endpoints and other SIP related issues. Even though these traces are in
clear text, these texts can be gibberish unless you understand fully
what they mean. This document attempts to br...
Please find the attached HTML document, download and open it on your PC.
This provides an easy to use form where you simply answer a few
questions and it will render the proper jabber-config.xml file for you
to copy/paste. There is built in logic to verif...
CUCM Database Replication is an area in which Cisco customers and
partners have asked for more in-depth training in being able to properly
assess a replication problem and potentially resolve an issue without
involving TAC. This document discusses the bas...