Cisco Support Community
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements

Welcome to Cisco Support Community. We would love to have your feedback.

For an introduction to the new site, click here. And see here for current known issues.

Bronze

Setup Remove Phone Over Internet/VPN

What is the easiest way to setup an IP phone at a remote site by using the internet? I have a phone lab with a 2621XM router connected to the internet and I have a 501 PIX at home. I'd like to try and setup a phone at home off of my lab system by using the internet. QOS isn't a big concern, I'm just doing this as a test/learning experience. Thanks!

3 REPLIES
Super Bronze

Re: Setup Remove Phone Over Internet/VPN

Hi Mike

It's a fairly simple thing to do if you understand VPNs and follow a couple of rules.

As you say, QoS won't be possible in this scenario so expect inconsistent (but probably poor) performance!

Basically just set up a VPN from your remote site to the head office. Make it a LAN-to-LAN type tunnel - i.e. one using fully routable addresses on both ends. This type of tunnel will not use NAT on any VPN traffic. If you use NAT, you will normally run into trouble with setting up calls in one direction or get one-way voice issues etc.

If you have a LAN-to-LAN tunnel (network-extension mode in EzVPN terminology) you neatly dodge this issue.

If you have the VPN and routing set up correctly you just need DHCP/option150 set up and you should have a working system.

I'd suggest you get the VPN working, and post back if you have specific issues.

Regards

Aaron

Please rate helpful posts...

Aaron Please remember to rate helpful posts to identify useful responses, and mark 'Answered' if appropriate!
Bronze

Aaron,

Thanks for the quick reply. Do you have a basic config for the router and PIX that I can reference to setup the VPN? If it helps at all with the config, I have both sites setup with dynamic DNS (http://freedns.afraid.org/) since they are both on cable internet without static IPs. All though the IPs RARELY change. Thanks!

Bronze

Does anyone have a basic Router and PIX config to get me started for a site to site VPN? Thanks.

Views
Helpful
Replies
CrearPor favor para crear contenido