cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Shared voicemail indicator?

thomascollins
Level 3
Level 3

We use Cisco 7965s.  When a user has voicemail, of course the red indicator light comes on and their personal line icon changes to a mailbox.

But we also have some shared voicemail boxes for groups.  These are not associated with a particular line on a users phone.  Instead they are accessible when people call into our call center.

Is there a way to give certain phones an indicator when that group voicemail box has messages?

Maybe as another line with an icon, or some kind of phone service?

Thanks,

Tom

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Hey Thomas,

Good stuff

On the 7965 why don't you create a new DN/Line Button, it doesn't have to be DID just use

a Phantom number. You can assign this new number under 5000 instead of 2222

and then you will be able to differentiate what number the message is queued up

against.

Cheers!

Rob

View solution in original post

6 Replies 6

Rob Huffman
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Hi Thomas,

This should be most possible

Here are the methods for Unity and Unity Connection;

For Unity Connection;

Message Waiting Indicators

Cisco Unity Connection can set message waiting indicators (MWIs) at up to 10 extensions for a user when new voice messages arrive.

When a user account is added, Connection automatically enables the MWI at the primary extension for the user.

You can change MWI settings, and add or delete MWI extensions in Cisco Unity Connection Administration on the Message Waiting Indicators page for a user.

To Add MWIs for Other Extensions

Step 1 In Cisco Unity Connection Administration, find the user for whom you want to add another MWI.

Step 2 On the Edit menu, click Message Waiting Indicators.

Step 3 On the Message Waiting Indicators page, click Add New.

Step 4 On the New Message Waiting Indicator page, check the Enabled check box.

Step 5 In the Display Name field, enter a description for the MWI.

Step 6 Optionally, check the Inherit User's Extension check box to use the primary extension for the user as the extension on which the message waiting indicator (MWI) appears.

Step 7 In the Extension field, enter the extension for the MWI. When entering characters, consider the following:

•Enter digits 0 through 9. Do not use spaces, dashes, or parentheses.

•Enter , (comma) to insert a one-second pause.

•Enter # and * to correspond to the # and * keys on the phone.

Step 8 In the Phone System field, click the name of the phone system that the extension is assigned to.

Step 9 Click Save.

Step 10 Repeat Step 2 through Step 9 as necessary.

http://www.cisco.biz/en/US/docs/voice_ip_comm/connection/7x/user_mac/guide/7xcucmac040.html#wp1267728

For Unity;

Setting Up Alternate MWIs for Extensions on the Same Phone System

Cisco Unity can activate alternate MWIs for extensions on the same phone system. Note that depending on the phones and phone systems, some additional phone system programming may be necessary. Refer to the installation guide for the phone system.

To enable alternate MWIs for extensions on the same phone system, do the following procedure for each subscriber who needs alternate MWIs.

To Set Up Alternate MWIs for Extensions on the Same Phone System

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Step 1 In the Cisco Unity Administrator, go to the applicable Subscribers > Subscribers > Messages page.

Step 2 Confirm that the Use MWI for Message Notification check box is checked.

Step 3 Click the Add button located beneath the MWI Extensions table to add a row to the table. By default, the first row in the table contains an "X" to indicate the primary extension assigned to a subscriber. If you want one more extension and do not need to activate the MWI on the primary extension, you can also modify the first row.

Step 4 Enter the applicable extension in the Extension field of the table. MWIs are automatically enabled for all rows in the table. When entering characters in the MWI Extensions table, consider the following:

Enter digits 0 through 9. Do not use spaces, dashes, or parentheses.

Enter , (comma) to insert a one-second pause.

Enter # and * to correspond to the # and * keys on the phone.

Step 5 Click the Save icon.

Step 6 Repeat Step 3 through Step 5 as necessary.

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/docs/voice_ip_comm/unity/401/integration/guide/c50acu4x.html#wp1808513

Hope this helps!

Rob

Thanks Rob, +5

We use Unity Connections.  I followed your notes (and read the doc).  I added a second MWI to my user account, by using the extension of the shared voicemail box.  I then left a test message in the shared voicemail box.

When I look at the actual shared voicemail extension directly, the MWI says it's on.

But when I go to my user account, and look at the MWI, the new one for the shared voicemail extension says off.

I double checked my extension #s.  Anything else I could be missing?

Hi Thomas,

You are most welcome

If I am reading your post correctly, I think you may have it backwards. If the

Shared mailbox is 5000 and the user DN for whom you want the Alternate MWI set up is

2222. The config is done under the 5000 mailbox and not the 2222 mailbox.

Cheers!

Rob

Good catch.  That was the problem.  I had it reversed.

It works now -- it lights my phones MWI.  One question though.  Unity asks for a "Display Name*" but it doesn't seem to use that.  My phone just lights my MWI, and my personal line shows the envelope icon.

Is there any way to differentiate between personal line voicemail and the shared box?

Thanks

Hey Thomas,

Good stuff

On the 7965 why don't you create a new DN/Line Button, it doesn't have to be DID just use

a Phantom number. You can assign this new number under 5000 instead of 2222

and then you will be able to differentiate what number the message is queued up

against.

Cheers!

Rob

Go to Message Waiting Indicators in the desired mailbox that you want to know when a message is there.  click add to add the desire extension that you want the MWI light to light up...  Description is for your reference and will not display on the phones...

Works nicely for up to 10 notifications.

Now when an end users phone lights up; they will not know what voicemail box lit up the light without having to check each mailbox that has a MWI rule on their phone.

Might be confusing for the end user, and give you greif down the road as end users change.  Unless you have some sort of process down for checking voice messages your user could get lost in not understand that the same light for their personal voicemail is also lighting for a group mailbox or another individuals mailbox.

Now if Cisco could come up with some txt that can be displayed on the screen to say a voicemail msg arrived on Mailbox XXX; now that would be cool...

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: