Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Show wrong time at 2811 router after every reboot

I have configured 2811 router as ntp master.

But the router It self is not showing the proper time which i fixed up several times but after restarting the Voice Gateway it is becoming 10/20 minutes fast each time.

i have used those command at 2811

!

clock timezone BDT 6

ntp logging

ntp master

!

after that i set the clock time manualy.

so how can i fix this issue. Help needed.

Thanks

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Hi,

On modern router you can fix the hardware clock.

Try this, just from the router enable prompt.

1)

clock set HH:MM:SS DD MMM YYYY

! This set the software clock to the time you want - usually the correct time where the router lives

2)

clock update-calendar

! This update the on board hardware clock to the time you have set in 1)

Now when you power off/on the router hopefully the clock in hardware should be reasonably accurate.

Loads of info re clocks etc here:-

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/docs/ios/12_2/configfun/configuration/guide/fcf012.html#wp1001598

HTH

Alex

Please rate useful posts

Regards, Alex. Please rate useful posts.

View solution in original post

4 Replies 4

barry
Level 7
Level 7

Hi

Unless there is a good reason to run the gateway as an ntp master (i.e. you are using it to server time to other devices) I wouldn't configure it that way:

try:

no ntp master

ntp server

ntp server

Where x.x.x.x and y.y.y.y are available NTP Servers (e.g. Microsoft domain controllers or public Internet NTP Servers).

HTH. Barry

Hi,

On modern router you can fix the hardware clock.

Try this, just from the router enable prompt.

1)

clock set HH:MM:SS DD MMM YYYY

! This set the software clock to the time you want - usually the correct time where the router lives

2)

clock update-calendar

! This update the on board hardware clock to the time you have set in 1)

Now when you power off/on the router hopefully the clock in hardware should be reasonably accurate.

Loads of info re clocks etc here:-

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/docs/ios/12_2/configfun/configuration/guide/fcf012.html#wp1001598

HTH

Alex

Please rate useful posts

Regards, Alex. Please rate useful posts.

thanks acampbell

Ummm ... I would never set any of my Cisco appliance as an authoritative NTP box.  The reason is the hardware is not designed to be one.  Setting up the clock, is OK but you'll see that the time will not be accurate.

You have two choices:

1.  Why not get a dedicated NTP server?  Not the ones that advertise themselves as an "ntp server" but requires an internet access.  I'm talking about a TRUE NTP server that synchronizes itself to the GPS.  That way this appliance is inside your secure network.

2.  How to configure an authoritative  time server in Windows XP;

How to configure an authoritative  time server in Windows Server;

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: