Cisco Support Community
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements

Attention: The Community will be in read-only mode on 12/14/2017 from 12:00 am pacific to 11:30 am.

During this time you will only be able to see content. Other interactions such as posting, replying to questions, or marking content as helpful will be disabled for few hours.

We apologize for the inconvenience while we perform important updates to the Community.

signal vs. signal-update...

I occasionally get DTMF tones from my carrier in a signal-update vs. a signal. When my AS5400 receives these messages I send back a 400 Bad Request. I have tried to change my dial-peer to dtmf-relay h245 signal but it didn't help. Anyone know how I should handle these occasional SIP messages? TIA.

5 REPLIES

Re: signal vs. signal-update...

I'm confused because:

h245-signal and signal-update are H323 messages.

400 Bad Request is a SIP message.

Every signal should be followed up by a signal-update to mark the end of the digit, but that is for an H323 call.

Can you explain the call flow more?

-nick

Exactly. I'm getting signal-update in a SIP INFO message from my carrier. I have a simple setup. Just doing SIP->TDM. Calls that don't have this signal-update message work fine with 'dtmf-relay cisco-rtp'. I'm wondering if there's a way to handle these types of messages or if I need to tell my carrier to get their act together. ;)

INFO sip:xxxxxxxxxx@xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx:5060 SIP/2.0

Via: SIP/2.0/UDP yyy.yyy.yyy.yyy:5060;branch=z9hG4bK0dBea481531b543eab1

From: "Cell Phone TX" <>yyyyyyyyyy@yyy.yyy.yyy.yyy;isup-oli=62;pstn-params=808482808882>;tag=gK0d5bb22f

To: <>xxxxxxxxxx@xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx>;tag=213985C4-414

Call-ID: 1426940695_13053@yyy.yyy.yyy.yyy

CSeq: 30593 INFO

Max-Forwards: 70

Supported: 100rel

Content-Length: 33

Content-Type: application/dtmf-relay

Signal-Update= 8

Duration= 325

There isn't going to be anything on the gateway to support this. Just looked up the spec that we use, and we're looking for signal= .

If you can, have them update that field and you'll be alright. Otherwise ask for RFC 2833 as it is more of a SIP standard for DTMF than it is for anything else.

-nick

My carrier told me that I need to allow for signal-update or just discard it. Is there a way I can discard these?

The only option that may get you this is a new feature in 12.4(22)YB:

voice service voip

sip

pass-thru content unsupp

I have my doubts about this, so you will probably need to push back on the provider.

Considering that an INFO message requires a response, ignoring it isn't an option.

-nick

Views
Helpful
Replies
CreatePlease to create content