cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

SIP help

jjoseph01
Level 3
Level 3

Hi all, I am new to SIP and Im trying to figure some things out.  Id like to ask if anyone has a topology they might be willing to share so that I can try to understand the SIP components and what I might need to do on a particular project I have.  Im going to have to implement a SIP solution for VoIP hosting, and Im not sure what I need exactly.  I typically do installs at one company where they use SCCP, and its all behind one location.  But now, Im looking at implementing a solution that sits at one location, and has many remote locations.  Im not sure really how to do this or the components that are needed in this case for SIP.  Ive read over documents about SIP, but I cant seem to understand what I need to do exactly.  I have a CUCM ver 6.x at the moment, and plan on using it, but at this point, Im not sure what else I need.  Im sure I need a gateway, but in the SIP world, Im not sure even what that gateway is going to be called (redirect server?, proxy server?)???  If anyone out there has a diagram of a solution like this, I sure would appreciate you sharing it with me.  Thanks.

4 Replies 4

paolo bevilacqua
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

The fact there remote locations is no requirement to use SIP

WIth CM and CME, it's better to use SCCP for phones, more features, less bugs.

Thenj you put a router between CM and anything else, that is called CUBE, or ip2ip, or whatever name marketing dictates.

Ok, so I should use SCCP instead of SIP?  Where topology is: Hosted Site (where CUCM resides) --> Gateway 3825 Cisco router  --> Internet -->remote business --> SCCP IP phone?

So really then, all I need is a gateway that hosts the SIP trunk coming in (a SIP gateway???)(maybe also its an H323 gateway???), and configure the CUCM for SCCP IP phones?

p.bevilacqua, you mentioned less bugs with SCCP and more features also.  Is using SCCP the preferred way of doing this kind of setup?

Thanks again for your response to my post, and to future posts for this thread.

You need to setup a VPN between routers at hosting site and remote locations.

Otherwise, 7942 and better phones now support embedded VPN.

There are other ways but the first one above would be my recommendation. If you want to read a lot and learn, search "cucm srnd".

Thanks p.bevilacqua for your insight.  I appreciate the help.