Views
Helpful
Replies

sip options ping cucm

Les Pruden
Level 4
Level 4

Hi -

I have a strange problem and I'm looking for ideas.  I have a version 9.1.2 CUCM cluster with two nodes.  I am setting up two SIP trunks to our CUSP and in CUSP I have configured the CAC to send an Options ping to each CM server.  The subscriber is sending a 200 OK reply to the Options ping but the publisher is not. 

I set up a packet capture on both servers and I can see the Options ping coming into both.  I see the 200 OK from the subscriber but the publisher does not reply.  Also, in the RTMT CM logs I can see the Options ping on the subscriber but the publisher log does not show any SIP requests.

These are both HP servers - not VM

I'm unclear on what services or profiles etc. might be missing or misconfiguration of one server over another.  I have restarted the publisher as well as all SIP trunks and SIP profiles.

Thanks,

Les

7 Replies 7

Ayodeji Okanlawon
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

That is a very strange behaviour. You dont need to do anyt other thing other than enabling sip options ping under your sip profiles. From your description, it appears the options ping is not making it to the publisher..Since you cant see this on your cucm logs. Is the trace settings on the publisher set to detailed? If it is and you still dont see the sip request, then you need to check your network. Is there firewall anywhere betwen publisher and CUSP?

Please rate all useful posts

Thanks for the quick reply Ayodeji -

The CM traces are set to detailed and there is not a firewall in place.  The publisher and the subscriber are both patched to the same two 4948 switches and are in the same rack etc. etc.  I can see the Options ping in the packet capture from the publisher's CLI but no reply.  This is what puzzles me.  The server is getting the ping but I don't understand what might be configured incorrectly so that the ping does not hit the application and get a reply.

I will likely open a TAC case on this tomorrow.  I'm stumped and was hoping that someone else might have seen this before.  It's possible that I have a server issue and might need to dig into that aspect of this trouble.

Regards,

Les 

Can you send me cucm traces from the publisher? I want to have a look at the options ping request and lets see what CUCM is doing when the requests come in.

Hi!

I'm experiencing the same issue on 11.0 version of CUCM. Publisher is sending back the SIP OPTIONS, but subscriber is ignoring the request.

Did you solve your problem?

Les Pruden
Level 4
Level 4

I attached the RTMT output.  You will see that there are no SIP messages in this log.  I also took a screen shot of the wireshark output from the CLI packet capture.  If you look in the RTMT log for the corresponding time (the wireshark is EDT and the RTMT is CDT so RTMT is an hour difference) you will see that there are no messages (15:34:14:613 or 14:34:14:613 in RTMT).  I also grabbed a screen shot of the wireshark for the subscriber - you can see the 200 OK reply.

Regards,

Les

Publisher - wireshark output

subscriber wireshark output

Les,

I couldnt see the pictures in your attachment and yes I didnt see any sip related messages in the log. If you see the request in wireshark, but not on the publisher, then that looks like its not getting there. Its a little strange. There are SIPstationinit messages on the publisher though..

You may want to take pcap captures from the publisher CLI directly.

Thanks for looking at this.  Strangest trouble.  I'll open a TAC case now on this and see what they can find. The wireshark trace that I tried to get a screen shot of for you was a pcap off the CLI.  The CLI packet capture does show that the Options ping is coming into the server but no reply.  I'll update this discussion when I have a resolution.

Thanks for taking some time to look at the issue - much appreciated.

Les

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: