Views
Helpful
Replies

SIP, SCCP or SPCP

Pawel Lenart
Level 1
Level 1

Hi,

We are currently planning to implement 20 seat phone system for testing purposes and in next 12 - 18 months we will look to expand it to min 300 seats (we are IT department for pretty big (10 offices & 350 staff) company). We currently have C2921 which we are planning to use for our test enviroment.

We still need to decide what type of phones we need to buy. As we want to go in the same direction as Cisco we are looking for something that will be around for next couple years, something that Cisco is planning to develop further etc.

We have a choice between 3 different protocols and to be honest it is hard decision and I would like for someone from Cisco to let me know hich protocols will be used in future, are there any plans to move forward with SCCP development or it will be replaced by SPCP. Do you plan to develop SIP more etc.

If someone have experience with specific protocol please let me know what kind of experience you have and if it is positive or negative.

Thank you very much.

Kind regards,

Pawel Lenart

3 Accepted Solutions

Accepted Solutions

Gordon Ross
Level 9
Level 9

This is just my £0.02 worth. I don't speak for Cisco.

I'd never heard of SPCP 'till I googled it. (Looks like a Fujitsu invention) CallManager doesn't support it right now. (Not that I'm implying that they plan to !)

My gut feel is that SIP is the future for end-points. I believe all Cisco handsets that support both SIP & SCCP now have feature parity. Some of the newer handsets coming out have come out with SIP firmware first. Another hint, is that in CCMAdmin, there's a wizard to convert from SCCP to SIP, but nothing the other way.

My system has both SIP & SCCP handsets and they all work fine.

However, I doubt Cisco will end support for SCCP (or SIP) "tomorrow" You'll be supported regardless of which one you run for many years yet.

GTG

Please rate all helpful posts.

View solution in original post

Rob Huffman
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Hi Pawel,

Just to add a note to the great tips from Gordon & Leonardo (+5 each!)

SPCP is a protocol used only with the SPAxxx series and UC500 - UC300

small business series systems.

Q. What voice protocols are supported?

#

A. The Cisco SPA 504G supports both Session Initiation Protocol (SIP) version 2 with the Cisco SPA 9000 and third-party call controllers and the Smart Phone Control Protocol (SPCP) with the Cisco Unified Communications 500 Series.

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/prod/collateral/voicesw/ps6788/phones/ps10499/qa_c67-552214.html

If you look at the new phones Cisco has developed lately then SIP seems to be where they are headed but

SCCP isn't going anywhere soon

Cheers!

Rob

Oh great tip Rob,

I never heard about this protocol i will take a look about SPCP.

Other thing Pawel sccp borns together with Cisco IP Telephony since 1998 when Cisco bought Selsius is very difficult to end with SCCP...

Regards

Regards
Leonardo Santana

*** Rate All Helpful Responses***

4 Replies 4

Gordon Ross
Level 9
Level 9

This is just my £0.02 worth. I don't speak for Cisco.

I'd never heard of SPCP 'till I googled it. (Looks like a Fujitsu invention) CallManager doesn't support it right now. (Not that I'm implying that they plan to !)

My gut feel is that SIP is the future for end-points. I believe all Cisco handsets that support both SIP & SCCP now have feature parity. Some of the newer handsets coming out have come out with SIP firmware first. Another hint, is that in CCMAdmin, there's a wizard to convert from SCCP to SIP, but nothing the other way.

My system has both SIP & SCCP handsets and they all work fine.

However, I doubt Cisco will end support for SCCP (or SIP) "tomorrow" You'll be supported regardless of which one you run for many years yet.

GTG

Please rate all helpful posts.

I agree with Gordon..

i dont Cisco will end support for SCCP, and SIP you can use another phones in CUCM using SIP.

And SPCP i never heard anything about

Thanks

Regards
Leonardo Santana

Rob Huffman
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Hi Pawel,

Just to add a note to the great tips from Gordon & Leonardo (+5 each!)

SPCP is a protocol used only with the SPAxxx series and UC500 - UC300

small business series systems.

Q. What voice protocols are supported?

#

A. The Cisco SPA 504G supports both Session Initiation Protocol (SIP) version 2 with the Cisco SPA 9000 and third-party call controllers and the Smart Phone Control Protocol (SPCP) with the Cisco Unified Communications 500 Series.

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/prod/collateral/voicesw/ps6788/phones/ps10499/qa_c67-552214.html

If you look at the new phones Cisco has developed lately then SIP seems to be where they are headed but

SCCP isn't going anywhere soon

Cheers!

Rob

Oh great tip Rob,

I never heard about this protocol i will take a look about SPCP.

Other thing Pawel sccp borns together with Cisco IP Telephony since 1998 when Cisco bought Selsius is very difficult to end with SCCP...

Regards

Regards
Leonardo Santana