Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

SIP trunk or Route list CUCM

Hello.

I have a misunderstanding. I am a newbie in Voice. And I just read how to add route pattern to CUCM via Route Lists and Route Groups from CCNA Voice. But on our corporate CUCM there is different config. Our server uses trunk configuration via something called CUBE. I understand that CUBE is our corporate voice router. This router is registered to SIP provider. And here I dont undestand how should I configure CUCM in future installations((( I mean if I configure dial-plan on CUCM by using Route Lists - wont it work? Why we need such config as SIP trunk? Why we need CUBE?

Thank all for clarification.

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

That depends on the model of router you are running. The ISR G2 routers (19XX,29XX,39XX) require UC license for you to use voice features on them. The ISR G1 routers (28XX,38XX) do not require any license

Please rate all useful posts

"opportunity is a haughty goddess who waste no time with those who are unprepared"

View solution in original post

5 Replies 5

Ayodeji Okanlawon
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

A CUBE is basically a voice gateway that converts between two voip legs using either two different protocols or similar protocols. By default a cisco gateway cant process calls with two voip legs. With the functionality of a CUBE this becomes possible. A CUBE also provides a point of demarcation between your private network and the outside world i.e your ITSP (Internet service provider or telco)

There are two ways you can configure a CUCM two integrate to a CUBE

1. Using H323

2. sip

SIP

You will need to configure a sip trunk and poing the sip trun to the CUBE using the ip address of the CUBE. You will then assign the sip trunk to a Route group and the route group to a Route list. You will then configure a route pattern to point to the route list.

H323..

You will configure the CUBE as a h323 gateway and assign the gateway to a route group and then RG to RL and point your RP to the RL...

To complete your CUBE setup you will need to define additional parameters on your gateway such as

1. dial-peer configs

2. CUBE specific configs etc

"opportunity is a haughty goddess who waste no time with those who are unprepared"

Does it mean that it wont work if I configure just voice gateways? Without any CUBE? JUst like in CCNA Voice example.

A CUBE is a voice gateway with cub features running on it. If you want to do IP to IP, then you need the CUBE features, without this it wont work

Last question. To do IP to PSTN do I need licenses?

That depends on the model of router you are running. The ISR G2 routers (19XX,29XX,39XX) require UC license for you to use voice features on them. The ISR G1 routers (28XX,38XX) do not require any license