Helpful
Replies

SIP Trunk Question

mightyking
Level 6
Level 6

Hi Everyone,

I am taking over a project which has already been designed as follow:

Phone-----SIP------CUCM----SIP-----Voice GW-----SIP-----CUBE-----SIP----Provider

My question is, do I really need the Voice GW? In this senario, do I need to run a SIP trunk from CUCM to Voice GW and then from Voice GW to Cube? Wouldn't be easier to run a SIP trunk directely from CUCM to the Cube?

I would appreciate if someone could share a configuration sample for this senario.

Thanks,

MK

6 Replies 6

Dennis Mink
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

Based on the information you provided above, I would remove the voice GW.

Just built a SIP trunk from your CUCM to your CUBE (dialpeer) and from your CUBE (dialpeer) to your SIP provider.

also, I would advise (if you havent already done that) to put the  CUBE in a DMZ

Please remember to rate useful posts, by clicking on the stars below.

Thanks Minkdennis, I appreciate your hlep.

No probs mate, keep posting if you need to

Please remember to rate useful posts, by clicking on the stars below.

One more question:

If I build a trunk directly from CUCM to Cube then what is the utility of having a Voice GW in the middle? The Voice GW is doing nothing and can be removed, right?

Thanks,

MK

At least without further details, it just seems that they like to complicate themselves and add another point of failure by adding that GW in the middle.

Have you asked the people that were involved in the design from the very beginning what is the specific purpose for that GW in the design??

Maybe we're missing something in the picture.

HTH

java

if this helps, please rate

www.cisco.com/go/pdihelpdesk

HTH

java

if this helps, please rate

This is exactely what I thought. As you said, other than complicating and adding a point of failure, I don't see any advantage of having the Voice GW in between. Unfortunately, the engineer who designed the solution is gone and left us with no details.

Thanks for the reply Javalenc,

MK