Views
Helpful
Replies

SipDroid Client on CUCM 7

eoinwhite
Level 1
Level 1

Hey,

Prevoisly i've managed to get Nokia phones running on SIP (and SCCP) but i'm struggling to get my Android phone registered using SipDroid client. Has anyone managed to get their Android phone registered to the call manager using any 3rd part Android SIP client.

TIA,

Eoin.

25 Replies 25

I have never messed with SIP until now, but would i need a SIP route pattern? I thought that was only for pointing to specific SIP trunks.

Nope, route patterns are to point to trunks or gateways. For SIP you just register the phone like a normal one; but since SIP uses authentication, a End User is needed to be configured and assigned. Try using the X-Lite softphones to validate your parameters?

I will give that a try, thanks a ton! I will report back what I found. Have to run to soccer practice now.

OK, got mine to work. I tried three different clients and all of them acted the same. ASIP, CMVOIP, and SIP Droid. So I tried one more 3CXPhone and it worked like a champ first go! Thanks for the help here, this is cool!

SipDroid works perfectly here : Android 2.1 or 2.2, with CUCM 7.1.3.

Our users are LDAP integrated, so here's what I did :

In Call Manager :

1. Create a new SIP phone using the X-Lite instructions up top of this thread.  I had one-way audio until I enabled a Media Resource Group.

2. In that phone put the "Owner ID" and "Digest User" to my LDAP username.

3. Edit my user's digest credential to a password of my choice.  I went for something like "TestingNow".

4. Give my phone an extension.  In my case, I gave it the same number as my desk phone so that whenever someone calls me on my extension, my Android will ring too.

5. Give it a SIP profile which requires Digest authentication.  I copied the non-secure SIP device, then ticked the digest box and called it "Android SIP devices".

Then in SIPDroid itself, go to SIP account settings and put :

1. Authorization username = LDAP username (without any domain prefix - just the username).  THIS IS CASE-SENSITIVE!!!  Crazy, eh?

2. Password = Digest Credential

3. Server or Proxy = Call Manager (publisher or subscriber - up to you).

4. Domain = leave it empty

5. Username or CallerID = extension associated with your user

6. Port = 5060, I didn't touch this.

7. Protocol = UDP, I didn't touch this.  Both UDP and TCP work in my environment.

If it works, SipDroid will go green.  Once it's green, you should be able to see a registered status in CUCM phone status, although I've never managed (or bothered) to get it to be anything other than "untrusted".

Now, in Sipdoird if you leave "Preferred Call Type" as "SipDroid when available", you just leave SipDroid running as a background service and use your phone dialer as normal.  If you place a call while SipDroid can "see" the Call Manager, when you press the dial button, it will transparently kick in SipDroid to place the call.  When your desk phone rings, so will your Android.

I have the basics up and running.  Seem to be able to make and take calls, np.  What I haven't been able to do yet is

place on hold and transfer callers.  Wonder why.  Any thoughts?

marcgq777
Level 1
Level 1

I can successfully register. I can make calls and take calls to only cisco DN's. We use a 9 before dialing an outside number and I think this is interfeering with my ability to do this. Any suggestions?

It is likely you have resolved this already. In my testing the SIP device should honor the CSS/Partition/Pattern configurations in a route plan just like other devices. The difference is that the 3rd party SIP device will typically want to use en bloc dialing instead of a digit-by-digit analysis. On CUCM, you can leverage KPML if the client software supports it. CUCM does have a concept of a SIP Dial Plan rules base. However, IIRC it doesn't apply to 3rd party SIP devices. So, given that not many clients support KPML you are left with en bloc dialing alone unless your client allows you to program a set of dial plan rules locally (e.g. X-Lite does this).

Anyway, just some thoughts. I am sure you have resolved this already.

HTH.

Regards,
Bill

HTH -Bill (b) http://ucguerrilla.com (t) @ucguerrilla

Please remember to rate helpful responses and identify

ronniekendrick
Level 1
Level 1

I used the information in this post to connect get SIP working on the built in SIP client with Android 2.3. Works great, except incoming calls do not work. There's probably a setting I'm missing and I'll post if I find it.

What isn't working with incoming calls? Is the station ringing at all? If so, check the region and codec configs on CUCM. If it is not ringing, check your dial plan.

You may also want to take a look at this article:

http://www.netcraftsmen.net/resources/blogs/sipdroid-cisco-cucm.html

I recently tested Sipdroid on my HTC Incredible. Works well. Though I have not tested on 2.3 (my tests and the blog were based on 2.2).

HTH.

Regards,
Bill

HTH -Bill (b) http://ucguerrilla.com (t) @ucguerrilla

Please remember to rate helpful responses and identify

I have this issue with CUCM at my workplace (an NHS hospital). The new Android 2.3 SIP stack authenticates okay and I can make calls no problem but cannot receive them. The phone doesn't ring at all. Other clients including csipsimple on Android, media5-fone on iOS 4 and the inbuilt SIP stack on a Nokia E71 work okay for making and receiving calls with the same account.

The native 2.3 client has very basic configuration options username (extension), server address and proxy settings but cannot set Authentication Digest username (just assumes it is the same as the extension - which in my case it is) nor can you set the realm. However since the phone can register and make calls I wouldn't think this would be the issue.

It works fine both ways with sipgate.co.uk

Any ideas?

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: