Cisco Support Community
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements

Welcome to Cisco Support Community. We would love to have your feedback.

For an introduction to the new site, click here. And see here for current known issues.

Softphone and CallManager Express

Hello everyone,

Does anyone know if there is a software based phone that works with CME?

I've downloaded the softphone and it asks for the CallManager version and IP and ends up not even having a line associated with it.

What I'm actually trying to accomplish is troubleshooting phone issues by logging into a system at the client's location with such software installed on it so I can perform test calls and what not.

I'd appreciate if anyone could direct me to a possible solution.

Regards,

Ali

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Hall of Fame Super Red

Re: Softphone and CallManager Express

Hi Ali,

You are most welcome :) Good luck with your testing!

Take care,

Rob

3 REPLIES
Hall of Fame Super Red

Hi Ali,

Support for IP Communicator was added in CME 4.0 Have a look at the steps below;

SCCP: Configuring Cisco IP Communicator Support

To enable support for Cisco IP Communicator, perform the following steps.

Prerequisites

Cisco Unified CME 4.0 or a later version

Cisco IP Communicator 2.0 or a later version

IP address of the Cisco Unified CME TFTP server

(Optional) Headsets with microphones for users

DETAILED STEPS

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Step 1 Download the latest version of the Cisco IP Communicator software and install it on your PC.

The download website is at http://www.cisco.com/pcgi-bin/tablebuild.pl/ip-iostsp.

Step 2 (Optional) Attach a headset with microphone to your PC.

Step 3 Start the Cisco IP Communicator application.

Step 4 Define the IP address of the Cisco Unified CME TFTP server.

a. Open the Network > User Preferences window.

b. Enter the IP address of the Cisco Unified CME TFTP server.

Step 5 Wait for the Cisco IP Communicator application to connect to Cisco Unified CME and register.

Step 6 Configure the extension numbers and line buttons for the Cisco IP Communicator.

Use the normal phone provisioning commands described in the "SCCP: Creating Directory Numbers" section. In the type command, use the CIPC keyword to identify this phone as a Cisco IP Communicator.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

SCCP: Verifying Cisco IP Communicator Support

Step 1 Use the show running-config command to display ephone-dn and ephone information associated with this phone.

Step 2 After Cisco IP Communicator registers with Cisco Unified CME, it displays the phone extensions and soft keys in its configuration. Verify that these are correct.

Step 3 Make a local call from the phone and have someone call you. Verify that you have a two-way voice path.

SCCP: Troubleshooting Cisco IP Communicator Support

Step 1 Use the debug ephone detail command to diagnose problems with calls. For more information, see the Cisco Unified CME Command Reference.

From this good doc;

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/products/sw/voicesw/ps4625/products_configuration_guide_chapter09186a00807e13a7.html#wp1046762

Hope this helps!

Rob

Rob,

I really appreciate your thorough and precise response.

I'm sorry I replied a little late - I must have forgotten to enable the email notification when my thread would get a response.

GREAT links and GREAT documentation!!

I'm going to download the software and implement a few test scenarios.

Best Regards,

Ali

Hall of Fame Super Red

Hi Ali,

You are most welcome :) Good luck with your testing!

Take care,

Rob

Views
Helpful
Replies
CreatePlease to create content