cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Some definitions, please

refram
Level 3
Level 3

There are a few configurations that I'd finally like to get defined.  Cisco is famous for using a word as its own definition (i.e. "maximum sessions - the maximum number of sessions you can have").  Can anyone, at long last, tell me what some of these configurations really mean and really do?

Under the "dspfarm profile" for the conference profile, what does the "maximum sessions" number do?

Under "telephony-service" what are "sdspfarm units"?

Also under "telephony-service" what does "max-conferences" really do?

Finally, once and for all, what really controls the number of people who can be in a conference and how many conferences you can potentially have?  How do the amount and the type of DSPs affect this number?  Can I have some DSPs on a PVDM set aside for conferencing and some others on the same PVDM set aside for something else?  And what should I keep in mind to make sure that there are enough DSPs available for calls from the PSTN?  Can someone tell me, or at least point me to a good article to read?

Thanks.

5 Replies 5

Rob Huffman
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Hi Refram,

This is an excellent guide

Attached is a file from Jorge @  AT&T with a DSP chapter (chapter 4) that will give you great info.

Attachments:

Hope  this helps!

Rob

Please support CSC Helps Haiti

https://supportforums.cisco.com/docs/DOC-8895

https://supportforums.cisco.com/docs/DOC-8727

OK, that was very helpful (and I appreciate it), but I STILL don't know what "maximum sessions" does.

Also, regarding things like "max-conferences", and particularly "sdspfarms", why not just configure the highest number the IOS will allow?

In answer to your second question (why not configure the max allowed on the platform), is that the voice gateway reserves DSP resources for the maximuim number of conferncees it is configured for.  And there are other things those DSP resources could be used for (xcoding and voice packetization, to be exact).  So there will be times when you do not want the CFB to use *all* available DSP's.

An update frm TAC.  On CME the "max-conferences" is the maximum number of software conferences and "maximum sessions" is the maximum number of hardware conferences.  FINALLY!

That's what I said.

But, you're the Refram.

Hailey