I've just enabled e/mobility and now I find configuring speed and fast dials via user web page giving me inconsistent results. On some phones it works fine and others it only works when you login using mobility. What's going on here?
On some phones it works fine and others it only works when you login using mobility.
What exactly you are configuring?
I have configured ext mobility as per documentation i.e. create device profile for phone, create device profile for IP phone user and add new user.
Which DP profile or device associated you are selecting please provide more details.
I think I have answered this question above.
What I am trying to achieve here is simply allow users to set-up their speed/fast dials using the CCM web interface for users. It appears to work when you actually login to a phone. But, I would like users to be able to utilize this feature on their own dedicated phone 'and' on a virtual-desk phone on which they may be logged in. The latter works intermittently i.e. on some phones it's good but other not.
These are the paths to get to each CCX logs through CLI. They may be helpful if you are having issues accessing RTMT or downloading logs through it.
If you want to download them you have to prefix "file get " and you can add one of the options (re...