I have got the following versions:
8961 IP Phone Firmware sip8961.9-3-4-24
Some user have the problem that in the CUCM Device Profile "Busy Lamp Field Speed Dial Configuration" the label entry is diefferent to the label shown on the phone.
For example: In CUCM: "Henry Test" ind the Phone: "Henry"
It seems like that there is no connection between the CUCM and the phone for speed dials.
Reboot or Relogin doens not help.
Thank your help
Try making a trivial change in CUCM. This should force CUCM to re-generate the config for the phone.
Please rate all helpful posts.
I finally worked it out: The port of the Phone was configed like a video port. The user used this port for over 10 month with no problems. I changed the config of the port and now it works fine.