Cisco Support Community
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

SRST Design considerations

Hello guys!

I'm quoting SRST for a client that has a central site and two branch offices running on a CUCM 8.5 at central site. The router platforms for each site are:

Central Site Router: CISCO2921-V/K9

Cisco IOS Software, C2900 Software (C2900-UNIVERSALK9-M), Version 15.0(1)M7
     Technology Package License uck9

Branch Router 1: CISCO2901/K9

Branch Router 2: CISCO2901/K9

Im going to add FL-SRST-25= and FL-CME-SRST-25= to each router at each site and a PVDM3-16= to each of the branch routers since they do not have the modules from factory.

My questions are the following:

1. The routers do not have T1 or ISDN or PRI/BRI interface cards. They only have the three Gi interfaces from factory. Can SRST be configured to use as back-up interface a Gi interface if the Service Provider provides me an Ethernet port as the back-up circuit?

2. Does the CUCM 8.5 needs to be configured to support SRST or the configuration is only performed in the routers?

3. What do you guys recommend, CUCM Express in SRST fallback mode or Cisco Unified SRST?

Cisco Unified Communications Manager Express in SRST Fallback MCisco Unified Communications Manager Express in SRST Fallback Mode

4. Any configuration examples and documentation will be gladly appreciated since this is my first time configuring SRST.

Thanks in advanced guys!

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Blue

Hi

Answer inline

1. The routers do not have T1 or ISDN or PRI/BRI interface cards.  They only have the three Gi interfaces from factory. Can SRST be  configured to use as back-up interface a Gi interface if the Service  Provider provides me an Ethernet port as the back-up circuit?

Answer :- Is your service provider giving you SIP trunk??? Without SIDN circuit how are you going to route your call to PSTN?

2. Does the CUCM 8.5 needs to be configured to support SRST or the configuration is only performed in the routers?

Answer :- You need to configure SRST related configuration in both CUCm and router.

3. What do you guys recommend, CUCM Express in SRST fallback mode or Cisco Unified SRST?

Answer :- Depends on your choice, If you want more feature, use CME as SRST and if you want to support more IP phone use normal SRST.

isco Unified Communications Manager Express in SRST Fallback MCisco Unified Communications Manager Express in SRST Fallback Mode

4. Any configuration examples and documentation will be gladly appreciated since this is my first time configuring SRST.

Answer :- For Normal SRST

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/docs/voice_ip_comm/cusrst/admin/sccp_sip_srst/configuration/guide/srst_overview.html

for cme as SRST

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/docs/voice_ip_comm/cucme/admin/configuration/guide/cmesrst.html

Regards

Ronak Patel

Rate Helpful post by clicking stars below the answer.

Regards Ronak Patel Rate all helpful post by clicking stars below the answer.
4 REPLIES
Blue

Hi

Answer inline

1. The routers do not have T1 or ISDN or PRI/BRI interface cards.  They only have the three Gi interfaces from factory. Can SRST be  configured to use as back-up interface a Gi interface if the Service  Provider provides me an Ethernet port as the back-up circuit?

Answer :- Is your service provider giving you SIP trunk??? Without SIDN circuit how are you going to route your call to PSTN?

Answer :- You need to configure SRST related configuration in both CUCm and router.

Answer :- Depends on your choice, If you want more feature, use CME as SRST and if you want to support more IP phone use normal SRST.

isco Unified Communications Manager Express in SRST Fallback MCisco Unified Communications Manager Express in SRST Fallback Mode

Answer :- For Normal SRST

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/docs/voice_ip_comm/cusrst/admin/sccp_sip_srst/configuration/guide/srst_overview.html

for cme as SRST

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/docs/voice_ip_comm/cucme/admin/configuration/guide/cmesrst.html

Regards

Ronak Patel

Thanks Ronak for your answers and documentation!

The Service Provider will provide a SIP trunk through an Ethernet port using antennas as backup circuit. With that said, can SRST be configured to use this SIP trunk through the Gi of the router correct?

Thanks again, much appreciated!

Blue

Hi,

Yes it will work. But I believe you may need CUBE license, Since it will be voip to voip call.

Regards

Ronak Patel

The router does not have the CUBE license but it is already connecterd to the Service Provider SIP Server through a SIP trunk as the main line. So I guess that for the secondary SRST SIP trunk it should work. Thanks again.

Views
Helpful
Replies
CreatePlease to create content