Cisco Support Community
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements

Welcome to Cisco Support Community. We would love to have your feedback.

For an introduction to the new site, click here. If you'd prefer to explore, try our test area to get started. And see here for current known issues.

SRST ephone questions

We have a remote site cube router with SRST licensed.  Normal call manager comes from CUCM back at Headquarters.  I'm planning to deploy a second site (similar setup), so I'm reviewing the config of cube#1.  However, in looking at the router config, I see all our ephones defined.  I thought it dynamically learns them from CUCM (we have 'srst mode auto-provision dn' configured).  Does it just learn them then add them to the config? On router #2 do I need to manually define any ephones?  What about the template -- what does that do, and does it need to be there?

Here's a sample of our config (some lines removed)

telephony-service

srst mode auto-provision dn

srst ephone template 1

!

ephone-dn-template  1

description manager

call-forward busy 5555

!

!

ephone-template  1

softkeys hold  Resume Newcall Join Select

softkeys idle  Redial Newcall

softkeys connected  Hold Endcall Park Trnsfer Confrn

softkeys ringing  Answer

!

!

ephone-dn  1  octo-line

number 12345

label 12345

description 12345

name 12345

!

Thanks!

Bill

2 ACCEPTED SOLUTIONS

Accepted Solutions

SRST ephone questions

Hi Bill.

With option "dn"  on srst mode auto-provision once phones will register on cme in srst condition, registered DN's wil remain on running config also after recovery (ephone info will not be stored a no ephone configuration is needed).

If you choose none , Phones will register without alter original CME config.

If you choose ALL , both ephone and ephone-dn would be showed on running config.

HTH

Regards

Carlo

Please rate all helpful posts

"The more you help the more you learn"

Please rate all helpful posts "The more you help the more you learn"
VIP Super Bronze

SRST ephone questions

Bill,

Yes I will recommend changing to auto provision none as I have see the other configurations creating issues. To use the templates you will need to manually configure the phones. Personally I dont see a need for this in SRST.

Dont forget to rate posts! You havent rated any so far...

Please rate all useful posts

"opportunity is a haughty goddess who waste no time with those who are unprepared"

Please rate all useful posts "The essence of christianity is not the enthronement but the obliteration of self --William Barclay"
9 REPLIES
Cisco Employee

SRST ephone questions

Most likely that's CME-as-SRST

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/partner/docs/voice_ip_comm/cucme/admin/configuration/guide/cmesrst.html

Regular SRST does get the info from the phones.

HTH

java

if this helps, please rate

www.cisco.com/go/pdihelpdesk

HTH

java

if this helps, please rate

www.cisco.com/go/pdi

SRST ephone questions

Thanks, I read the doc.  But it appears even in CME-as-SRST it can obtain the phone info from the phones.  So why would one use the optional step of defining the DNs?  Or did it simply add that to the running config after it learned them (thanks to srst mode auto-provision dn)

I'm trying to determine if on a new router I need to define the ephones or not.

Thanks!

SRST ephone questions

Hi Bill.

With option "dn"  on srst mode auto-provision once phones will register on cme in srst condition, registered DN's wil remain on running config also after recovery (ephone info will not be stored a no ephone configuration is needed).

If you choose none , Phones will register without alter original CME config.

If you choose ALL , both ephone and ephone-dn would be showed on running config.

HTH

Regards

Carlo

Please rate all helpful posts

"The more you help the more you learn"

Please rate all helpful posts "The more you help the more you learn"
VIP Super Bronze

SRST ephone questions

Just to add to what Carlo has said (+5 Carlo)

srst mode auto-provision {all | dn | none}

Example:

Router(config-telephony)# srst mode  auto-provision none

Enables SRST mode for a Cisco Unified CME router.

all—Includes information for learned ephones and ephone-dns in the running configuration.

dn—Includes information for learned ephone-dns in the running configuration.

none—Does  not include information for learned ephones or learned ephone-dns in  the running configuration. Use this keyword when you want  Cisco Unified CME to provide SRST fallback services for  Cisco Unified Communications Manager.

If you are deploying CME as SRST you should use auto provision none. You dont want your ephone-dn and ephone configs to remain on your ccme-SRST router after normal operation has been restored.

"opportunity is a haughty goddess who waste no time with those who are unprepared"

Please rate all useful posts "The essence of christianity is not the enthronement but the obliteration of self --William Barclay"

SRST ephone questions

Thanks guys +5

How can I confirm this is cme-as-srst? 

Also why not leave the dn in the running config? The phones are fairly static.

Lastly in this mode, what's the function of the two templates?

VIP Super Bronze

SRST ephone questions

CME-as-SRST is configured using "telephony-service". Traditional SRST is configured using "call-manager-fallback" command.

Leaving the dn could cause issues. If this is your PSTN gateway for example, during normal operations when calls come in from the PSTN, they will not be routed to CUCM but rather to the ephone-dns. Hence callers will hear busy tone because no phone is registered to the gateway at that time.

The templates are used to modify several things such as your soft key templates etc...

SRST ephone questions

Got it.  So during normal operation the phones are registered to our central CUCM.  The local cube CME is only used in SRST when the WAN Is down. 

In that case would you recommend changing to 'srst mode auto-provision none' and removing the ephone and dn templates?

VIP Super Bronze

SRST ephone questions

Bill,

Yes I will recommend changing to auto provision none as I have see the other configurations creating issues. To use the templates you will need to manually configure the phones. Personally I dont see a need for this in SRST.

Dont forget to rate posts! You havent rated any so far...

SRST ephone questions

Thanks for all the help.  Ratings added, sorry about that, thought I had -- didn't seem to be working properly from my tablet.

Views
Helpful
Replies